Thread: John Grishams Brethren Best Seller Scam

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

John Grishams Brethren Best Seller Scam

(Hartford, Connecticut) A Connecticut man was sentenced to 33 months in federal prison Tuesday for orchestrating an Internet scam remarkably similar to one outlined in a best-selling legal thriller.

Steven Smith, 43, of Bristol, posted Internet advertisements posing as a 21-year-old gay man, rejected by his parents and looking for guidance from older men.

When people responded to his advertisements, Smith told them he was incarcerated and needed money to get out of jail.

In John Grisham's 2000 book "The Brethren," a trio of imprisoned judges post personal advertisements in gay magazines, posing as a confused young homosexual man. The judges solicit money from those who respond to the ads.

In Grisham's story, the judges unknowingly ensnare a presidential candidate in their scam. They then attempt to extort him as he gains front-runner status. "The Brethren" was a No. 1 New York Times best seller.

At least 28 victims from 18 states, and at least one Canadian resident, mailed Smith money, prosecutors said. Smith, using the screen name of "Stevenyounger" received $64,585 in contributions.

Smith told prosecutors that he had read a lot during previous jail terms, said Tom Carson, a spokesman for the U.S. Attorney's office. When investigators asked whether the scam was lifted from "The Brethren," Carson said Smith refused to answer.

Smith pleaded guilty in December to one count of mail fraud. He was not incarcerated while running the scam. Carson said investigators learned of the fraud through a citizen complaint.

U.S. District Judge Ellen B. Burns ordered Smith to pay back his victims at a rate of $200 per month. When he is released from prison, his Internet usage will be monitored.

"I think the public needs to be protected from you," Burns said during sentencing.

Smith's attorney, Gary D. Weinberger, had no comment Tuesday.

A message seeking comment was left with Grisham's literary agent, David Gernert and his publisher, Doubleday.

http://www.365gay.com/newscon04/06/060104netScam.htm

That is crazy that someone would have done that

Actually i have to admit Grisham is one of the only authors who actually make me go out of my way to buy their newest book and i loved The Brethren :groovy:

Regards,

Lee

McAttack
    That's pretty ballsy actually. I've never read a Grisham book yet. Seen a few movies. Maybe I'll pick one up. I borrowed a James Patterson book from my sister, was pretty good.

RainGurl
    awesome book, actually just re-read it a few weeks ago. and the thought occured to me, when will someone have the balls to try this??