Thread: More News From Oz

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

More News From Oz

(Sydney, Australia) A tiny tots program on Australia's state run television network is discovering the fury of conservative Christian groups after running a story about a little girl with two moms.

"My mums are taking me and my friend Meryn to an amusement park," the little girl says over images of her mothers waving while she and her friend play on a merry-go-round.

The show, Play School, is aimed at pre-school children.

Furious parents, many associated with traditional family organizations, have flooded the ABC network with letters, phone calls, and emails condemning the program.

"I'm paying for it. Every other parent in Australia is paying for it," Australian Family Association spokesman Bill Muehlenberg said.

"Taxpayers have the right to know their two-or three-year-old kids can turn on Play School and get some basic learning skills without political indoctrination being rammed down their throats."

ABC children's programmer Claire Henderson defended the program yesterday, saying Play School segments "reflect the contemporary world in all its variety."

Muehlenberg is demanding that the show's producers be fired and that Parliament investigate "the homosexual agenda" being "forced on our children".

The issue of gay families is at the top of the news in Australia following last week's announcement by the government that it will bring in legislation to bar gay couples from marrying or adopting children but allow civil unions.

http://www.365gay.com/newscon04/06/060304ozTV.htm

Personally, gay or not, i think what the show did was a good thing and i would feel the same way whatever the subject matter of the 'story' was good or bad.. kids need to learn not to have prejudices from a very early age no matter what those prejudices may or may not be!

Regards,

Lee

I'm A Confirmed Trisexual CuriousToyBoy's Avatar
    And we Aussies are again shafted back to the dark ages........

Unfortunately, we do NOT have a bill of rights, or the true Freedom of Speech that is enjoyed elsewhere.

That can be good, that can be bad.

In the case highlighted by Lee, it is a prime example of bad.

A point of interest, we have a renovation reality TV show downunder Called "The Block". On Sunday Night's episode the gay couple (who rock by the way) kissed on the lips and it was shown on camera.

The next day, Channel 9, who have the program, received over 1000 phone calls complaining about it.

The same Channel received exactly 37 phone calls complaining when they showed the Iraqi beheading.

Go figure.

:crybaby:

Here's to the ABC! Good on em for 'risking' it with this episode!

cheers,
    Luke

I'm A Confirmed Trisexual CuriousToyBoy's Avatar
    Originally posted by Chilihost
    Here's to the ABC! Good on em for 'risking' it with this episode!

cheers,
    Luke
    Doesn't it suck that it has to be considered a "risk" ....

My 2c

AusCoding Allan
    Well done to the ABC for finally moving out of the dark ages with its programming. We should definitely see more of this style of acceptance from all levels of society and government.

Cheers,

Allan