Thread: Do You Hide Your Traffic Sources From Affiliate Managers/Companies?

I am straight, but my ass is gay jIgG's Avatar

Do You Hide Your Traffic Sources From Affiliate Managers/Companies?

Just curious if any affiliates out there are in the habit of hiding their affiliate links and traffic sources using 3rd party software or PHP scripts so that affiliate managers can't see where you send traffic from?

This specifically caught my attention

T3Report 5.0 will offer a new feature called Affiliate Analysis, which will help affiliate managers mine data from their affiliates' linking structures.
    http://www.xbiz.com/news/108251

Personally I feel its imperative for any affiliate who drives traffic, from outside sources especially, to hide their affiliate links

For one if the links change, like they will with CCBill's new interface, it's much easier to change URLs from within the program than go site by site.

And two, using a script or even more dedicated software you hide your traffic source and don't pass any referral info to the affiliate company or managers who often have their own sites.

Might as well tell put a sign and tell them where the money is.

I've read the stories of affiliate companies or managers insisting they know where someone's traffic came from that generated big sales numbers. Days later affiliate finds their landing pages ripped off or the company who's product they advertised became direct competitor.

How do you hide your affiliate URLs and traffic sources? Any particular software you're using?

I don't hid my traffic sources yet but you have a great point and it's something to consider now.
    Naked Straight Men on Squirtit & StraightBro

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

I've used Click Counter, which is free and doesn't need a mysql database to track my link hits and also to make it a cleaner looking link when people hover on it.

Another one I've used is Easy Link Manager ...while it isn't free, it does use a mysql database and is extremely easy to create "pretty links" with to use on your blogs, etc. Also quickly edit any link so if a company changes its links you can update an entire site in just minutes.

I'm not sure these hide any traffic source info from your sponsors though?

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    I think most who are serious about maintaining long-term traffic levels already do this to some extent, especially where those individuals virtually own their niche.

I recall several years ago one of the first things that i was ever told on an affiliate support forum was to get soome kind of link tracking in place, not only does it allow you greater control over your traffic as an affiliate but, if a sponsor does go belly-up changing your links is a lot easier to do.

That being said, this script has obviously had this feature added for a reason, some (or numerous) program owner/owners have asked for this feature otherwise it wouldnt be there, now might be a good time for everyone to re-evaluate how they are sending their traffic to their sponsors.

Of course, scripting isnt the only way an affiliate can 'hide' the true location of their traffic if they are concerned with the programs they promote finding out where they are getting their site visitors/sales from, simply putting up a sub directory with a meta refresh to each of the programs you promote is another way of cloaking where your traffic comes from, we've been using this on a small scale with certain sites for a few years and of course, if a program closes, its simply a case of logging in to your FTP account, editing the URL you send traffic to and you can swap out the sponsor you are using within a few minutes.

Regards,

Lee

I Giggle Like A Girl Every Time I Hear The Word 'Watersports'
    i dont think i would feel safe promoting a sponsor that used that type of tactic to steal affiliates traffic without them knowing it is a shame there is not a list of sponsors that use this program!