Thread: This Is Scary...

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

This Is Scary...

Former Vice President Dick Cheney, who in defending the Bush administration’s record has become one of the Obama administration’s toughest GOP critics, is enjoying a rise in popularity, according to a new CNN/Opinion Research poll released Thursday.

The survey showed Cheney’s favorability rating spiking 8 percentage points since he left office in January, increasing from 29 percent to 37 percent.

But CNN Polling Director Keating Holland said the rise probably is not related to Cheney’s opposition to the Obama administration’s national security policies.

“Is Cheney’s uptick due to his visibility as one of the most outspoken critics of the Obama administration? Almost certainly not,” Holland told CNN. “Former President George W. Bush’s favorable rating rose 6 points in that same time period, and Bush has not given a single public speech since he left office,” Holland said.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0509/22838.html

I really think that Cheney is setting himself up for a Presidential run in the next election and the scary part is, even though Bush hasnt done any public speaking since he left office, his rating rose by 6 points :eek:

How soon people forget

Regards,

Lee

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    I suppose it's possible, but I think Cheney knows he's unelectable; in addition to being a complete ass, he also has serious heart problems and is getting on in age.

I more think he's trying to cover his ass and by attacking and being difficult, make it more difficult for someone to go after him.

if this wasn't actually happening and someone suggested it for the plot of a film, I would tell them that it wouldn't be believable enough to do well. This whole situation is absurd and getting more so as the decade comes to a close
    Jacob Stiver
    E-Mail: drchango2010@gmail.com
    ICQ#: 388847435

I am not gay but I have slept with some guys who are
    really...it is ABSURD! It's been like that for such a long time...I mean it wasn't pleasant when Reagan got elected...that was unbelievable and horrible.

Know what my story plot for today would be, if it were possible...Lincoln coming back from the dead...giving a speech where all the politicians and world are eagerly listening, and Lincoln telling it like it is in many aspects, and coming out. There are serious scholars, not fly by night, who have a lot of consistent evidence that in their opinions indicates Lincoln was definitely gay. I saw a documentary on it, was really interesting. Whether Lincoln is or not, I'd still have him do that in my story plot, along with a lot of other heroic folks!

However, one thing about important, respected historical figures (or alive ones) is that they're treated by most people AND scholars as "innocent until proven guilty" when it comes to sexual orientation. Unless people rise from the dead, there's never enough proof for many who should know better.

Quote Originally Posted by tim460 View Post
    really...it is ABSURD! It's been like that for such a long time...I mean it wasn't pleasant when Reagan got elected...that was unbelievable and horrible.

Know what my story plot for today would be, if it were possible...Lincoln coming back from the dead...giving a speech where all the politicians and world are eagerly listening, and Lincoln telling it like it is in many aspects, and coming out. There are serious scholars, not fly by night, who have a lot of consistent evidence that in their opinions indicates Lincoln was definitely gay. I saw a documentary on it, was really interesting. Whether Lincoln is or not, I'd still have him do that in my story plot, along with a lot of other heroic folks!

However, one thing about important, respected historical figures (or alive ones) is that they're treated by most people AND scholars as "innocent until proven guilty" when it comes to sexual orientation. Unless people rise from the dead, there's never enough proof for many who should know better.
    Shit, what more proof do you need? Did you see his wife? Fuck!

okay, that was a bit juvenile, but she was quite the troglodyte, and if memory serves, their kids were from a previous marriage, so no proof they got down...and he was a champion wrestler =)
    Jacob Stiver

yes...when I saw the documentary, it was really incredible. There's letters, all sorts of things, plus his close, close friendship with...sorry, forgot this guy.....the general? whatever. What cracks me up is when I see dime a dozen boring show on Lincoln...listen to them carefully. They now mention how Lincoln shacked up and slept with this guy, and quickly say "as was the custom in those days." This is how Lincoln's relationship is dismissed by some scholars...that a lot of guys slept in the same bed in those days. Maybe, but how come I've never heard this mentioned about any other man in American history? It's like because of the evidence coming out, the naysayers will put it out but quickly explain it away...interesting. Lincoln was shocked and devastated when he found out that "this guy" (sorry) was getting married. Not all, but part of Lincoln's depression was from his emotional longing for this particular man...and it IS documented. Poor good Abe.

Quote Originally Posted by tim460 View Post
    yes...when I saw the documentary, it was really incredible. There's letters, all sorts of things, plus his close, close friendship with...sorry, forgot this guy.....the general? whatever. What cracks me up is when I see dime a dozen boring show on Lincoln...listen to them carefully. They now mention how Lincoln shacked up and slept with this guy, and quickly say "as was the custom in those days." This is how Lincoln's relationship is dismissed by some scholars...that a lot of guys slept in the same bed in those days. Maybe, but how come I've never heard this mentioned about any other man in American history? It's like because of the evidence coming out, the naysayers will put it out but quickly explain it away...interesting. Lincoln was shocked and devastated when he found out that "this guy" (sorry) was getting married. Not all, but part of Lincoln's depression was from his emotional longing for this particular man...and it IS documented. Poor good Abe.
    To be fair, I've taken a couple of classes on modern sexuality that compared mores in the 18th and 19th century with today, and straight guys spooning back in the day was not considered weird.
    One example that stuck in my head was a New York police officer who was accused of touching a suspect inappropriately. His partner came forward and stated that they slept in the same bed on numerous occasions and that his fellow officer had never done anything inappropriate. The same text book also cited Moby Dick (yeah, ironic, I know) and how the guys in that book would bunk with each other and it wasn't considered weird.

That being said, I still think Lincoln was gay. Look how he dressed compared to others of the time. The guy had some progressive fashion sense, and no straight man of that era could have rocked the top hat =)
    Jacob Stiver

LOL. That is a funny, cute observation. Interesting information, Jacob.

For the people on the documentary, it seems like Lincoln's letters to his friends and about his "relationship" (whatever it may or may not be) with him were most revelatory. Actually there were more details on other things but I forgot them...I'm not a history buff anyway.