Thread: Page / Site Navigation Location?

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

Page / Site Navigation Location?

When it comes to a site or pages navigation menu, do you folks prefer when it is located on the left, or the right hand side of a page?

Im thinking something along the lines of a blogroll type setup, which typically appears on the right hand side of most blogs but im wondering if that is the 'typical' placing for these types of navigation because that is how the script owners put them as default, when it actually comes to navigation do you feel that a left handed or right handed navigation pane works best?

Regards,

Lee

I am not gay but I have slept with some guys who are
    I'm dealing with just that and other similar design issues right now. Looking and looking at other blogs and templates, too. This may not be the answer you want to hear, but it seems quite arbitrary. So many aspects of the blog can effect this positioning.

IF the right is most familiar to people, they may feel most comfortable having it there. But there's too many other factors that could contradict this easily. Personally, I am using both left and right depending on the site. Just my$0.02

I Giggle Like A Girl Every Time I Hear The Word 'Watersports'
    i actually like to have the menu at the bottom of the page or at the top that way when i scroll down to the bottom i dont have to scroll half way up again to click another link

Actually, it boils down to which hand do they use for the mouse? Right is most common, and you never want to make a surfer work too hard to get to your upsells ... so blogs and newer sites tend to put site navigation on the left or inner right column, and banners and profitable links on the right or far right column.

Quote Originally Posted by Bec View Post
    Actually, it boils down to which hand do they use for the mouse? Right is most common, and you never want to make a surfer work too hard to get to your upsells ... so blogs and newer sites tend to put site navigation on the left or inner right column, and banners and profitable links on the right or far right column.
    For whatever it's worth, that's the scheme I am using most. Using some text (links) to separate the main blog area from banners also looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by tim460 View Post
    For whatever it's worth, that's the scheme I am using most. Using some text (links) to separate the main blog area from banners also looks good.
    I published that a bit too hasty. I was speaking about a double sidebar on the right. However, when the sidebars are on the left and right of the main column, I've found the following to work nicely despite I vary it. I almost always start with some page/site navigation at the top of the left sidebar. Depending on the look I'm going for or how the header matches up with it, the top of the right sidebar often has some page/site/or text info, too, or it can have a banner. Then I follow generally with more page/navigation info on the left sidebar, and banners on the right sidebar. Sometimes I mix it up on both sides.

I've found designs with a minimal, modern, sleek look (especially if the header is only text and no images) show off much better if there aren't banners starting smack at the very top of the sidebars. Just a small block of text, page/site navigation at the top of the sidebars is enough to keep that look. Then you can start the banners, which for all practical purposes are still in a visible hot spot at the "top," even if not the absolute first thing in the sidebar.