Thread: feeds, etc. - use on adult sites, legal issues

I am not gay but I have slept with some guys who are

feeds, etc. - use on adult sites, legal issues

First thanks for bearing with my inexperience. I've posted this on another favorite gay webmaster site of mine with little response. Please note that I am not a content provider; I create free affiliate blogs. Upfront - never used feeds myself and am learning about them. My WP theme automatically comes with a bunch of feed links that I don't know what to do with (keep, get rid of, all or which ones). If anyone has a thought or two on any of the questions below, I'd greatly appreciate your input.

FYI, default feeds, etc. on my blog:
    - RSS entries
    - subscribe via email (type email, press submit button). I don't get this. I thought the email option is there to be selected when you press RSS entries. Are the two different, or the same but one is more handy for some people?
    - RSS comments
    - a link that goes to: http://feeds.feedburner.com/blogohblog
    - "social bar" under each post stating: "Submit article: Blinklist + Blogmarks + Digg + .....Google Bookmarks....Wink" Each is a link.

- "Add This" bookmarking and sharing service (explained on addthis.com) doesn't come with WP but I see it on some sites, under each post.

Questions:
    1. Is it true (or not really) that all the above is potentially good for getting more traffic (and ultimately more conversion)? If true, why not use it all?

2. Are any of these redundant?

3. Are there any legal risks using any of the feeds or bookmarking links above on my site, if the content of my blog is going anywhere other than my site (text and/or visual content)?

More about question 3. I thought feeds only copied text. I clicked on the RSS feed on one site and found the whole post was there...pics, text and links to websites. I'm still confused exactly how feeds and social bookmarks work, who is getting what from my site and how. Does a 2557 Compliance Statement on my website take care of all legalities? Or do I also need a TOS agreement that states something specific?

I understand that 2557 is not concerned with text but visual content. However, the text is obviously sexually explicit text, too. Setting 2557 aside, is does sexually explicit text itself create any risks?

As mentioned earlier, I'm an affiliate, not a content producer, and appreciate anyone's comments and ideas. Thanks.

:fucked:

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    IMHO adding things like Digg, FeedBurner, etc links on a blog is a good thing, it can really only help getting more repeat bookmark traffic which, as a site owner you want.

As for the other questions, ill pass the hat to someone else who has a better understanding of running blogs than myself... Bec, Luke?

Regards,

Lee

I'm guessing you picked up a theme that is already setup for social networking. I'd leave 'em ... the more people bookmark or add you to their social list, the more others see your site link.

Rss feeds usually contain the entire post or possibly the first paragraph with a 'read more' type link.

I haven't heard of any legal issues in linking to a social networks, regardless of what or where other links on your site may go.

you will find that most adult feeds feature the full post, pics included. The reason is so that you can feed your blog with entries that look like you did them yourself. Ideally, if you use a tool like Blogs Organizer, you can do some morphing on those feeds too so that the posts that are on your blog are unique.
    Luke H.
    Marketing Director
    Zbuckz.com, Jbuckz.com, Dickbank.com, Glamourbuckz.com

Thanks Bec, Luke, and Lee. I felt that may be the case but wasn't sure at first.

On another webmaster forum, this same post received the following comment. Hope sharing this info is OK, just thought it would add to the conversation.

"Text by itself does not fall under the definition of "sexually explicit" in 2257.

Feeds, however, are a slightly more gray area. If the feeds are embedded (appear in an iframe, or otherwise embedded on a page where your URL is in the browser window), most attorneys I've heard speak on the issue say that you should have records on file for any content appearing under your URL.

If the feeds are appearing under the URL of the company providing them, then you should not have to have 2257 info on file for them."

All of that is conjecture until it's litigated."

I'm not sure if this applies to affiliates like me...maybe it does?

I, for one, do not give 2257 legal advice. I'd hire an adult industry lawyer if you really want expert counsel.

Quote Originally Posted by Bec View Post
    I, for one, do not give 2257 legal advice. I'd hire an adult industry lawyer if you really want expert counsel.
    What she said!!!!
    Luke H.
    Marketing Director
    Zbuckz.com, Jbuckz.com, Dickbank.com, Glamourbuckz.com

Quote Originally Posted by HunkMoneyLuke View Post
    What she said!!!!
    Please don't worry; I thoroughly understand, Luke, Bec, and all else who wish to give input. I appreciate and am grateful for your each of comments and ideas immensely, as always.