Thread: naming your adult business, company names

I am not gay but I have slept with some guys who are

naming your adult business, company names

After months of brainstorming, I've found nothing good at all. Any tips on how to do this? I find domain names are easier to think up.

FYI...I'm making affiliate sites, not a content producer. One of my sites I'm starting with is smoothdudes.net (.com is parked by someone...I wish to buy it in the future when I have money but can't now. I first have to find money to register my LLC!). I have related and unrelated domains...muscle, so forth.

I understand a company name can be anything, like John Smith Company, but I think a catchy or at least interesting name matters. The simpler the better unless it's really unique. It should be fitting for an adult business, but also work as just a business name that isn't too revealing or eyebrow raising when I need to use my business name (for whatever) outside of the adult biz environment. For example, that is where Corbin Fisher, Falcon Media, so forth work so well. Not interested in using my name and it wouldn't work anyhow. Looked in the dictionary, looked up all the Greek, Roman, Celtic whathave you Gods, ....came up with nothing. I keep thinking ...something Media, but it doesn't have to be that. Such as Smoothdudes Media or SD Media, or maybe just Smoothdudes, LLC. That would work, but I'm not impressed by it, either. Plus not all my sites are about smooth guys. I'm not sure it's also slightly too revealing outside of the adult biz. I'm open about what I am doing, but I also want to be able to tell people the name my company sometime and just say I'm a webmaster, depending on the situation....rather than "My company is Suckmymonstercock."

Your tips and comments of any kind would are appreciated. Thanks.

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Well we have 8 companies right now and non of them are really anything specific sounding to what we do under their corporate umbrella.

GA Media Corporation
    Red Bag Productions
    Intershark Media
    Solar Nights LLC
    Etc, etc, etc...

Ill typically have an 'idea' of a company name then work on variations until i find something i like.

Red Bag Productions for example, i had an idea i wanted 'Red Bag' in the name based on a logo i found on TemplateMonster, but the 'Productions' part took a while to find - http://www.redbagproductions.com

Im actually in the process of coming up with a couple of other company names right now and its actually hard unless you have an idea of what you want to use as the name.

The biggest issues we have when choosing a company name, is finding one that hasnt been used before, isnt currently listed in the State of Florida business registry, has a domain name available for it and doesnt sound 'adult' in nature to passify our banking provider.

Regards,

Lee

right, those are some challenges, too. Thanks, Lee.

Anything is possible
    We have several companies - only one in the adult industry - we ran out of ideas on the last one and just went to the liqure cabinet IE: Sapphire Financial, Rare Breed Media - I guess the next one will be some kind of Vodka

LOVE 4 SALE OR LEASE SEX MONTHLY! :) longboardjim's Avatar
    keep in mind that "catchy" doesn't have to make "sense" (exp. google/yahoo/etc. )

I made the mistake in the beginning of buying domains who's names were too "broad" to fill ( it's a niche world! , bulk only works for badpuppy! ) now I focus more on the content name itself , this also helps in searches. ( interpreted: I wouldn't get too caught up in a name , if johnjacobjinglehimerschmidt.com has hot young guys the surfers will learn how to type it! :fool: )

jim

I like cocks better than you!
    Quote Originally Posted by tim460 View Post
    FYI...I'm making affiliate sites, not a content producer.
    I have a question for you... You are developing sites, hosting sites, and using webmaster tools provided by cash programs. You are buying domains, spending your time, and hosting your times in marketing your sites to promote others. If that is all that you are doing, why an LLC? Why not a Sole-Proprietorship?

It would be cheaper in the long run to begin as a Sole-Proprietorship. With a corporation, the company has to pay taxes, you have to pay taxes, and anyone else operating with the corporation has to pay taxes on the revenue the company brings in.

We were a sole-proprietorship for 3 years before we incorporated. If it's just you with the company, why don't you form the name "SD Media" or something like that. You won't loose so much money.

Maybe I'm not understanding. Not attacking you or what have you, just some ideas to throw out at you.

Yeah

It's being thoughtful, not attacking at all, Derek. Truthfully, what you wrote did me wonders, brought me closer to achieving my goals/dreams. Waiting to afford the LLC is really the main thing that held me back, and I need to just get going...so I can hopefully make money to say the least! Then when I can, I'll consult a lawyer for the reasons below (unless I learn something different in the meantime.)

To answer your question, when I recently went bankrupt, I asked my lawyer what kind of business I should register as (starting my new adventure into the adult websites). He said LLC would be good, so that's where the idea came from. I don't remember if we went into detail about why LLC. Then I read articles the sec. of the state sent to me about what an LLC is, what it's for. Basically the main reason given was if something nasty ever came up and a lawsuit thrown my way, a properly constructed LLC would protect my personal assets and prevent me from being sued personally (although my company could be sued). So an LLC would leave me less vulnerable than being a sole proprietor, where there is no such protection at all.

I also learned that due to loopholes in the laws of all 50 states, officially registering an LLC also does NOT offer the protection that LLC supposed to unless the business is properly constructed (with "Articles of Confederation" or whatever it's called, and a bunch of things I'd need a lawyer to help me with, things you and others know more about than I do right now.)

In reference to what I just wrote, I'll be at risk for a while as a sole proprietor. But I'm doing a lot of work daily and plan on it paying off, with some luck.

Your articles of incorporation are REALLY important.

Do a search on GWW for 'corporation' i wrote an article about this a year or two back that explained the different types of company type and why they are good to have.

Regards,

Lee

postscript: My lawyer said told me that Inc (as opposed to LLC) is more complex and not necessary for me.

Thanks, Lee....
    Articles of "confederation" LOL...think I was mixing US history in there. I will look up what you suggested.

Basically 'high risk' businesses, such as those in 'adult' should never be sole propriator owned, because if something ever happens, your personal assets become wholly liable in the instance of getting judgements/liens, etc, etc...

Regards,

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Basically 'high risk' businesses, such as those in 'adult' should never be sole propriator owned, because if something ever happens, your personal assets become wholly liable in the instance of getting judgements/liens, etc, etc...

Regards,

Lee
    OK. I've thought more...

That also one of the reasons why I wanted the LLC. (In fact, I thought of your thread writing about your more negative experiences as adult webmaster. But I felt this long before you wrote that.) That "high risk" of being simply an "adult" biz is the one terribly disturbing thing about pursuing this endeavor, one that I take seriously. I guess I'm stuck until I can afford a lawyer to organize this properly. I know many if not most people don't do that initially, but it's sort of like being at risk in some way or another and not having health or car insurance. It's all OK until it happens to you.