Thread: HIV Trails Encouraging

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

Yeah HIV Trials Encouraging

(London) The initial results of tests on a vaccine for HIV/AIDS are described as "promising" by researchers in Britain and Switzerland where the trials are being conducted.

The vaccine, dubbed NYVAC-HIV C, is the result of a massive European team effort that involves 21 laboratories and is funded by the European Union.

The labs make up what the EU calls the EuroVac consortium and the vaccine, the result of their cumulative research, was produced by Aventis Pasteur, the vaccine division of the French-German pharmaceuticals group Aventis.

But researchers warn it will be a long time before any vaccine is ready for mass use.

The EuroVac vaccine, in phase one trials, showed it was well tolerated by volunteers and prompted an immune response in almost half of them.

It was tested on 12 volunteers at the University Hospital in Lausanne and 12 at St Mary’s Hospital in London.

“We are extremely satisfied with the data we have obtained, even though this was only a preliminary study with 24 volunteers,” said Dr Giuseppe Pantaleo, one of the leaders of the study.

In Lausanne, the vaccine stimulated cells capable of eliminating cells infected by HIV in five out of the 12 people taking part in the trial.

A second clinical trial, due to start in both Lausanne and London in August with 40 volunteers, is described as being “crucial” to the vaccine’s development.

“By doubling the number of people, we will have clearer and more solid statistics,” said Pantaleo.

If the second round of trials is successful, tests on a much larger scale involving 300 to 400 people could be held from the middle of next year.

All the volunteers are aged between 18 and 55, HIV-negative and considered to be at low risk of infection.

http://www.365gay.com/newscon04/06/060704hivDrug.htm

This could be a promising breakthrough in the next few years

Although im not sure why they are using HIV- volunteers?

Regards,

Lee

HeatherF
    That is great news. I hope it continues to be successful. But, yes I don't see why they are testing on people who don't have HIV. Wouldn't it make more sense to try it out on people who do have it so they would know if it really worked or not?
    Just my 2 cents.

desslock
    All vaccine trials are with folks who are HIV -

That is probably true with any trial for any vaccine for any viral disease.

You want to measure how people's vaccined immune system handles the introduction of the virus.

Steve