Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does Anyone Own A NetBook?

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

Does Anyone Own A NetBook?

I was wondering if any of you folks currently owned a netbook and if you did, which model you had and how do you like it?

Ive been looking at these things for the past couple of days and to be honest, im a little confused as to why they are different to a laptop?

From what i can see, they are basically just smaller versions of laptops, is this right?

Regards,

Lee

Latin Niche site - 50% Revshare!! MiamiB's Avatar
    Most of them do not have optical drives which makes them smaller and lighter. Most also have less horsepower than laptops under the hood often with just 1 gig or ram and smaller hard drives.

Mostly for checking email and surfing the web while traveling (light and thin) at a coffee shop.

I have an Asus Eee model 1008 HA and can recommend it as a nice machine.
    MiamiBoyz.com
    Online Since 1999!
    Make 50% initial signup AND 50% recurring![/B] http://www.MiamiBoyz.com
    NEW SITE TO PROMOTE - LatinPiss.com

So you just use them to surf the web? You cant do word processing, html coding or use them for ftp or anything like that Lee?

Regards,

Lee

Latin Niche site - 50% Revshare!! MiamiB's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    So you just use them to surf the web? You cant do word processing, html coding or use them for ftp or anything like that Lee?

Regards,

Lee
    The model that I have is pretty snappy as far as running programs...the screen size limits its usage as far as stuff like photo editing but certainly word processing, and pretty much everything else can be done with them. Once again, no optical drive makes it harder to get your programs loaded (although external drives work fine for that).

I mostly use it when I go to a coffee shop just to get out but stay connected.
    MiamiBoyz.com
    Online Since 1999!
    Make 50% initial signup AND 50% recurring![/B] http://www.MiamiBoyz.com
    NEW SITE TO PROMOTE - LatinPiss.com

I've got a lovely pink Acer!

Wicked for travelling.
    I don't need to run heavy duty software but for Email, Web, Word Processing, etc. it is fabulous.

iTunes, etc is all installed. I don't have any issues with using it and the whole thing is perfecto for me.

Apple is apparently coming out with a version shortly what will have all the computing power of a larger laptop but in the small package - considering what you can do with an iPhone, this doesn't really surprise me at all.
    Mary
    Advertising Manager, QueerClick & Guys With iPhones
    Email: mary@queerclick.com

Reasonable Rates! Talk to me about better traffic options.

You don't have to be straight to be in the Army; you just have to be able to shoot straight. ponyboy's Avatar
    my honey wants one, but the deals here in new york to get the really cheap deals you have to take the internet, if i got one if would be headed north

So how is the netbook different from the ipod phone in functions?

Quote Originally Posted by Bec View Post
    So how is the netbook different from the ipod phone in functions?
    It has a full keyboard, a web cam...
    It's actually a real computer. I bought a lower end model , $400, simply because I don't need to run high end software, but at the $800 range (canadian funds), you get decent computing power to do a lot more work.

For me, I can run my web work, my email, my entertainment, my writing, blogging, etc. all from the netbook without any issues. I haven't found a thing that I can't do with it, and the specs on the higher end ones indicate that it could do a lot more that I do with mine. Of course, you can do a lot more with any computer I've ever owned than I've done with any of mine.

Honestly, I am not keen on the iPhone keyboard. I can't type on it to save my life.

The netbook gives me portability and more power.

Mary
    Last edited by Maryflixxx; 07-13-2009 at 01:45 PM. Reason: mistyped
    Mary
    Advertising Manager, QueerClick & Guys With iPhones
    Email: mary@queerclick.com

Reasonable Rates! Talk to me about better traffic options.

a netbook is basically a light, faster, smaller laptop. some come with linux installed, some with windows. you can do more on my son's eee pc that you can on a celery but less than on a desktop or his regular laptop.

and yes, lee - you can do html coding, graphics (i'd recommend a lighter program than photoshop, though, like the gimp), do html and css coding, etc. a lot of netbooks only use wifi, so although you could do ftping, it wouldn't be secure unless you set up your own wifi or wireless with the right security stuff in place. then you could do ftping with no problem.

I've been thinking about getting this laptop from Microcenter
    http://microcenter.com/single_produc...uct_id=0312136

It definately isn't the small notebook size, but it wasn't all that heavy.

You don't have to be straight to be in the Army; you just have to be able to shoot straight. ponyboy's Avatar
    just got off the phone with eric, he wants me to get him one for college, oh joy anther bill this month o

Quote Originally Posted by Bec View Post
    I've been thinking about getting this laptop from Microcenter
    http://microcenter.com/single_produc...uct_id=0312136

It definately isn't the small notebook size, but it wasn't all that heavy.
    Check out the NetBooks over at BestBuy, theres a couple there for $240 that have a little better specs than that laptop

Regards,

Lee

hay lee
    my problem is I have to buy in canada, just checked out prices up there, not that cheap they start at 349.00

Quote Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
    hay lee
    my problem is I have to buy in canada, just checked out prices up there, not that cheap they start at 349.00
    Yeah but thats Canadian, you get like 50% off the price for USD dont you? LOL

Regards,

Lee

no way lee, its just a few penny cheaper, when i buy up there I always have to ask yu take american or you want Canadian. I just shelled out 466 dollars american for a job that was 486 there money for a car repair.