Seattle, Washington) A lesbian minister has been appointed pastor of Woodland Park United Methodist Church, the third openly gay preacher to serve at the church, and the first since Methodists reaffirmed the denomination's position that "homosexuality is incompatible with Christian teaching" this spring.

The Rev. Katie Ladd, was named pastor of the suburban Seattle church today by Bishop Elias Galvan of the Pacific Northwest Annual Conference.

She will replace the Rev. Mark Williams who resigned to work on a Master's degree. Williams and Ladd both came out at the faith's 2001 convention.

Church law prohibits the ordination of self-avowed, practicing homosexuals.

An attempt to put Williams on trial failed, and no action was taken against Ladd. Until today she had served at another Seattle church.

Prior to Williams, the Rev. Karen Dammann was pastor of the Woodland Park. Danmann was the subject of a much publicized church trial this after she "came out" to Galvin and said she was in a long term relationship with another woman.

She was later found not guilty (story). But, in the fallout after the ruling, the church reaffirmed its position on gays in the faith after a debate within the Church that at times was bitter. Ladd's appointment is likely to rekindle the controversy church observers say.

Karen Zeller Lane, a Woodland Park parishioner, said Ladd's sexual orientation is "simply a non-issue" for the congregation.

In their statement to the bishop on what they were looking for in a new pastor, members indicated "we would accept any minister in good standing, regardless of sexual orientation," Lane told the Seattle Post. "I think there is enthusiasm and excitement for the skills that she brings. This church is extremely committed to justice and not just in the area of sexual minorities. We're committed to it in regards to all people who are marginalized. And Katie has a vast résumé in regard to the homeless and disadvantaged youths."

Ladd said Woodland Park fits her calling to work with those on society's margins, such as disabled and homeless people.

http://www.365gay.com/newscon04/06/060904gayPastor.htm

With all these gay clergy running around you would think there wouldnt be any issues with the church and homosexuality :eek:

Just remember... do as i say and not as i do

Regards,

Lee