Thread: Bareback Sex Is Actually Good For You - New Study Finds

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

WTF? Bareback Sex Is Actually Good For You - New Study Finds

According to a researcher, in this age of AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases, intercourse without a condom, while potentially disastrous for the body, is good for the psyche.

The claim comes from Dr. Stuart Brody, who says that he is not motivated by politics, but rather that "evolutionarily relevant sex" is, as a matter of science, more gratifying to the individuals who practice it.

By that, Brody seems to mean sex that might lead to conception--hence, no condom.

But before gays embrace the researcher’s claims as a rationale for barebacking or other risky sexual conduct, there’s something else they should know: Brody claimed in 2007 that heterosexual sex is satisfying in ways that gay sex is not.

Brody’s claim was reported on in the Aug. 4 edition of the UK newspaper The Telegraph, which reported that Brody, who formerly taught in Tubingen, Germany, is now a professor at the University of the West of Scotland, which is located in the city of Paisley.

Brody’s study relied on the accounts of over one hundred men and nearly one hundred women who answered queries regarding their sexual practices and their mental outlooks.

The men, the article said, were Portuguese.

Brody’s study indicated that individuals who used condoms were more subject to emotional immaturity and depression and more prone to suicide.

The results were the same for those in relationships as for those who were single.

The article quoted from a letter Brody sent to the Archives of Sexual Behavior, a professional journal.

Wrote the professor, "The more often [people] have sex without condoms, the better their mental health.

Possible explanations for the interference of condoms with the health benefits of penile-vaginal intercourse include the blocking of antidepressant and immunological agents in semen and genital secretions [and] reduced sexual satisfaction and intimacy."

The article noted that Brody insisted to another UK newspaper, The Independent, that his work was free of political bias.

"I don’t want to let anything get in the way, whether it’s political correctness, or religion," Brody was quoted as saying.

"Evolution is not politically correct, so of the very broad range of potential sexual behavior, there is actually only one that is consistently associated with better physical and mental health and that is the one sexual behavior that would be favored by evolution.

"That is not accident," added Brody.

How condom use and evolution interact is unclear, given that evolution tends to operate across long periods of time, whereas condoms are a fairly recent invention.

In any case, the physical benefits of condom use are still relevant and not liable to easy dismissal, noted the article, citing the role that condoms play both in the prevention of sexually transmitted disease, including AIDS, as well as in family planning.

The article related that in 2007, Brody made the claim that sex between members of opposing genders was beneficial for "psychological and physiological function" but that same-sex intimacy was not.

This claim contradicted an earlier study by Masters and Johnson that showed that, for gays, same-sex contact was just as satisfying as sex involving mixed genders was for straights.

The claim was denounced by UK gay equality activist Peter Tatchell, who called Brody’s report "unscientific and extreme" and noted of the Masters and Johnson investigation, "Their study found that levels of physical and emotional satisfaction during and after sex were almost identical for both heterosexual and homosexual couples."

Brody is also the author of a book titled "Sex at Risk," which examines the risk of HIV transmission through vaginal intercourse and addresses other issues of sexuality such as masturbation v. intercourse and a purported link between the number of sex partners an individual has and mental health.

http://www.edgeboston.com/index.php?...&sc3=&id=94596

Crazy stuff, personally i think this is a 'study' that doesnt really mean anything of substance other than getting the guy who did it some press exposure.

What are your thoughts on this, do you think it is sending the wrong message to people about unsafe sex practices?

Regards,

Lee

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    Without reading the actual study, it sounds fatally flawed. I suspect he controlled for relationship type, but probably did not do any baseline psychological testing.

Gay men are going to test *very* differently than straight men and obviously very differently than women on almost any psychological scale, and likewise, I suspect that he is making the mistake of correlation rather than causation in talking about condom use and it's relationship to psychological adjustment.

A much larger study, and one that is has at least some longitudinal component to it would be needed in order to really answer this question.

I am not gay but I have slept with some guys who are
    That's right, Chip, what science calls a "spurious" conclusion.

As far as his statements about gay vs. straight sex...Likewise, it'd be easy to conjure lots of reasons, including technical, why sex with the same sex is more satisfying than with the opposite sex, and it'd be all just as stupid. People are going to find "objective" explanations through "science" and "religion" and anything they can to defend their fears and ignorance no matter what their sexual orientation, gender, religion, or level of education is until homophobia and sex phobia are erased. Considering his confusion and bias about something as basic as sexual orientation, I personally am not able to trust anything the man says about sex.

As for sex without a condom...who knows. It's easy to understand how condom can turn some people off. But latex turns some people on, too. For heaven's sake, I don't think we need studies for this. Personally, I think for all these reasons, including how he makes a great effort to insist he's objective and not including religion...smells like a very unscientific and personal agenda going on here.

blah blah blah...
    a real simple take...could the reason behind the statement "individuals who used condoms were more subject to emotional immaturity and depression and more prone to suicide." not necessarily be due to the use of condoms, but rather, the fact that people who use condoms are usually in short-term non-committed relationships, which by their nature, do not bring the same level of satisfaction and happiness as long-term committed relationships (which in most cases is when most people stop using condoms). ???

DIXTER.COM
    Dixter.com Affiliate Program
    50/50 Rev Share Program with 5% Webmaster Referrals

I am straight, but my ass is gay jIgG's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post

Crazy stuff, personally i think this is a 'study' that doesnt really mean anything of substance other than getting the guy who did it some press exposure.

Lee
    after i got to the straight sex is better part that is exactly the thought that came to my mind

this guy is a PR whore