Thread: Major Psychology org officially repudiates gay-to-straight "therapys"

I am not gay but I have slept with some guys who are

Major Psychology org officially repudiates gay-to-straight "therapys"

Took them long enough...

Not that this will stop the practices. Religion's dark side goes deep.

It must be very hard to have been raised devout, but keep being attracted and falling in love with the forbidden category of mating partner.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...W7uDwD99T09TG0

The American Psychological Association declared Wednesday that mental health professionals should not tell gay clients they can become straight through therapy or other treatments.

In a resolution adopted by the APA's governing council, and in an accompanying report, the association issued its most comprehensive repudiation of "reparative therapy" — a concept espoused by a small but persistent group of therapists, often allied with religious conservatives, who maintain gays can change.

No solid evidence exists that such change is likely, says the resolution, adopted by a 125-4 vote. The APA said some research suggests that efforts to produce change could be harmful, inducing depression and suicidal tendencies.

Instead of seeking such change, the APA urged therapists to consider multiple options — that could range from celibacy to switching churches — for helping clients live spiritually rewarding lives in instances where their sexual orientation and religious faith conflict.

The APA had criticized reparative therapy in the past, but a six-member task force added weight to this position by examining 83 studies on sexual orientation change conducted since 1960. Its report was endorsed by the APA's governing council in Toronto, where the 150,000-member association's annual meeting is being held this weekend.

The report breaks new ground in its detailed and nuanced assessment of how therapists should deal with gay clients struggling to remain loyal to a religious faith that disapproves of homosexuality.

Judith Glassgold, a Highland Park, N.J., psychologist who chaired the task force, said she hoped the document could help calm the polarized debate between religious conservatives who believe in the possibility of changing sexual orientation and the many mental health professionals who reject that option.

"Both sides have to educate themselves better," Glassgold said in an interview. "The religious psychotherapists have to open up their eyes to the potential positive aspects of being gay or lesbian. Secular therapists have to recognize that some people will choose their faith over their sexuality."

In dealing with gay clients from conservative faiths, says the report, therapists should be "very cautious" about suggesting treatments aimed at altering their same-sex attractions.

That is right, Bill. But they are still floundering. It isn't just religious figures and therapists and clients. It's your neighborhood therapist, too. If this statement is that psychologists "shouldn't" but can, then it doesn't mean much. If the case is that psychologists "shouldn't" AND will pay serious consequences...then this is another story. The bottom line is that no health professional should ever harm his/her clients in the name of anything, including religion. That's an oath doctors take...wish it would mean something.

Anyone who cares about being a good parent, a good friend, or just a good person needs to know about the destructive practice of "changing gay people." At least they finally officially agreed that nothing conclusive has ever been shown that it works. Take the Exodus group, whose president was touting lies about changing gay people until he himself was found to be having an affair with another man. Is anyone really surprised?

This same APA news report appeared on another gay webmaster forum, and I said the same and similar things. People need to realize that these practices are damaging, psychologically and even physically abusive. And that many people, many who may never tell you, are affected daily by the trauma imposed years ago from being "counseled" by sick individuals. I'm one, and I was even lucky enough to duck out in time. This is why I feel it's my responsibility to take the risk of saying something. Some people kill themselves from these experiences. That's not surprising either because killing your sexual orientation is suicide...it's killing who you are at a basic level, and you own sense of self and self-acceptance, self-love.

Some psychologists in the know say that it probably will take lawsuits to stop these atrocities from happening. I hope it happens sooner.

I Giggle Like A Girl Every Time I Hear The Word 'Watersports'
    did anyone beleif that this worked at the start anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    did anyone beleif that this worked at the start anyway?
    Yeah and some still do. Some people are so homophobic that nothing including reality blocks out the intensity of their fears...even if they are self-destructive or hurting others. Others are stupid/hypocrites...you'd be surprised at how many "gay friendly" therapists and gay people themselves don't care about this when push comes to shove. In fact, I once had a chat with a gay community center director about this. He was apathetic and confused what to think - while he sat under the center's logo on the wall: "Be healthy - be yourself"!

Fortunately, not all people are so dumb. Many people know inherently that this stuff is crazy.