Thread: Site Width Minimums?

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

Site Width Minimums?

I was curious to find out what you folks thought the absolute minimum width a free or paysite should be these days?

Im starting to notice a lot more sites (especially paysites) getting designed at 1000px wide and was curious to know if you folks thought this was to large, to small, or just right for web users at the moment?

With some of my upcoming design projects im starting to ask that the designers actually go wider than 1000px on some of the sites and im actually doubting myself as to whether this is a good or a bad thing?

Your thoughts please, should we be designing at 1000px or larger right now so that we dont have to worry about changing/updating tour designs in the immediate future?

Regards,

Lee

Am I Bitter?...Absolutely nicedreams's Avatar
    We were just debating this on gms with englishlads site since they went 1280px. I think the time to be preparing is now, especially sites in HD. More than 75% of our users already have bigger than 1280 monitors. We will be testing with 2 new tours next month, a 1024 and a 1280 version.

Jimmy

Gay Amateur Paysites / Solo Twink Paysite
    Nice Dreams Cash
    http://www.nicedreamscash.com

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Really as big as that? :eek:

I thought asking for the designer to work at 1024px was a wide site :eek:

Hmm might have to look around a little more at this, are there any other sites that are ay 1024px or wider right now, most of the larger program sites i have checked out all seem to stop at around 1024px.

Regards,

Lee

Am I Bitter?...Absolutely nicedreams's Avatar
    Haha, I think you are a little late on the 1024. For example, gww forums, I have 6.5 inches of free space still around each side. LOL.

I would not design anything now under 1000px, but be prepared for larger or offer both with browser detection.

Jimmy
    Last edited by nicedreams; 08-28-2009 at 12:59 PM. Reason: grammer

Gay Amateur Paysites / Solo Twink Paysite
    Nice Dreams Cash
    http://www.nicedreamscash.com

i'm sticking at 1000 px for a while longer. around 35% to 40% of my traffic is at 1024, 7% is at 800. i expect within a year to move up.

I Giggle Like A Girl Every Time I Hear The Word 'Watersports'
    i am building my sites to be 950px wide at the moment and i think they look good

I am straight, but my ass is gay jIgG's Avatar
    950px to 1000px is okay I think

about 3-4% of my traffic is at 800x600 everyone else can do at least 1024px

or you can use a browser/screen size detecting as nicedreams said. And if you want to take it further you can do fluid CSS