Thread: Photoshoots - percentage of usables?

Photoshoots - percentage of usables?

I'm always curious what percentage other photographers maintain of usable vs. throw-away pics from a photoshoot.

Typically we shoot between 400-500 shots during a 4-hour shoot, and usually get between 150-200 shots that make it to the monthly update.

On average I'd say we're happy if we hit 30-40% usable.

Anyone?
    Kastle Archives Productions Inc. (est. 1999)
    http://www.ScruntsMaleBDSM.com
    Male bondage & fetish photography

LOVE 4 SALE OR LEASE SEX MONTHLY! :) longboardjim's Avatar
    about the same 500 - 600 photo ( mostly "duplicate" ) and then that amount is reduced to 300 photo and then 1/2 so I get 150 "choice" photo , I would rather have too many than too little to choose from.

there is no right or wrong amount of photo's to be taken , it not like these digital camera's are using real film anymore and/or have limited storage capacity.

jim

I Giggle Like A Girl Every Time I Hear The Word 'Watersports'
    i wondered this a few weeks back i think that a lot of the pics being taken must not be included in the full picture sets that we buy or the people taking them are using them in more than 1 set otherwise i think that pic sets would be 200 plus images

One thing I meant to add earlier to the thread but forgot - lately I've been giving thought to releasing some of our 'alternate' photos (shots that didn't make the first round of post-editing...but were edited much later after the updates went online).

I've got a folder with close to 5,000 pics (some behind-the-scenes, some converted to B&W, different filters added in post-edit...stuff like that). I just work on them in my spare time - but I'm thinking they may be of interest to our members.

Usually after a photoshoot we 'cherry pick' just the best ones - and update with 120 each month. Often our judgement calls on the cherries are done rather quickly to meet our monthly deadline...but a lot of good ones subsequently get left behind.

Anyone else have a similiar modus operandi?
    Kastle Archives Productions Inc. (est. 1999)
    http://www.ScruntsMaleBDSM.com
    Male bondage & fetish photography