Thread: Do People in Adult Test Their Or Is It A Case of See What Sticks?

I am straight, but my ass is gay jIgG's Avatar

Do People in Adult Test Their Or Is It A Case of See What Sticks?

just wondering.

in general do you think adult webmasters test what sells and what their traffic clicks on, or do they just throw banners up and hope they stick with the visitors?

I'm starting to think it's the latter.

I was looking at a rather large site, been around since late 90s, last night offering ad space for sale and their rule was only html link with no PHP or variables in it, and only 1 banner, no rotation. All that for a nice couple grand a month!

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    The sad thing is....

Most people dont even know HOW to test stuff out.

They think simply changing a banner out IS testing a site LOL

Regards,

Lee

I am not gay but I have slept with some guys who are
    Quote Originally Posted by jIgG View Post
    I was looking at a rather large site, been around since late 90s, last night offering ad space for sale and their rule was only html link with no PHP or variables in it, and only 1 banner, no rotation. All that for a nice couple grand a month!
    That's an anti-exploit artifact. It assumes you can count the traffic at your end without extra coding.

And a cp/inappropriate protection - they approve a banner, and dont have to worry you're gonna sneak an illegal or legally risky banner in on them.

There are reasons for most requirements of that type. There was a time when cheaters were the big risk, not competition from web 2.0, and mainstreamers.

---

What, you mean changing the banner isn't testing?

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    What, you mean changing the banner isn't testing?
    I mean most people think that changing out the banner is the only way of testing.

Regards,

Lee

Ok - So - elaborate on what other methods of testing can be applied!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I mean most people think that changing out the banner is the only way of testing.

Regards,

Lee
    I'm pullin your leg dude - oh noes, i has a leg! ;-}

I am straight, but my ass is gay jIgG's Avatar
    careful with his leg

anti-exploit is not an excuse, although I understand that angle of it. Major ad networks allow such URLs and they're dealing with massive traffic and advertiser bases...

Ok - So - elaborate on what other methods of testing can be applied!
    As far as banners are concerned it's about running several at a time that alternate to gauge the CTR rate.

I've come across posts from mainstream affiliates who posted their test results - and they tested page layouts and colors not just their creatives. Sometimes it's downright shocking to see how much improvement there is over what they previously used.

Of course I used to think you just put up a banner and let it rip until I read stuff.

Nowadays I won't be caught dead using just one banner hoping it will rain money especially on a $2k spend

Did you actually talk to a human there? There's a decent chance they'll listen to the idea of modifications of their terms.

Tell me who it is, and I might be able to tell you if they will.

There's a lot of "archaeology" in the biz, and by that I mean, artifacts of earlier eras and earlier problems.

Thanks for the additional information, as I'm sure there are some reading this thread who didn't understand what your frustration was about with that site's banner ad program. :broccoli:

Quote Originally Posted by jIgG View Post
    careful with his leg

anti-exploit is not an excuse, although I understand that angle of it. Major ad networks allow such URLs and they're dealing with massive traffic and advertiser bases...

As far as banners are concerned it's about running several at a time that alternate to gauge the CTR rate.

I've come across posts from mainstream affiliates who posted their test results - and they tested page layouts and colors not just their creatives. Sometimes it's downright shocking to see how much improvement there is over what they previously used.

Of course I used to think you just put up a banner and let it rip until I read stuff.

Nowadays I won't be caught dead using just one banner hoping it will rain money especially on a $2k spend