Thread: i am quitting smoking today

I Giggle Like A Girl Every Time I Hear The Word 'Watersports'

i am quitting smoking today

i have just had my last smoke and i am hoping to quit using the gum stuff i have been smoking for a long time and think it will be hard but i think it will be good that i do as well!

I'd say good luck - but hopefully luck ain't a factor and you're successful with the attempt.

Have you tried hypnosis therapy? It worked for my father a decade ago (pack a day smoker for 35 years) - he quit cold turkey after the hypno sessions and never smoked another day in his life.
    Kastle Archives Productions Inc. (est. 1999)
    http://www.ScruntsMaleBDSM.com
    Male bondage & fetish photography

Any decent man you ever get is gonna find out you're half dyke and RUN. Lace's Avatar
    I wish you the best of luck!

I've got half a box of Nicorette somewhere around here. It worked for all of a few days and I went right back. I believe that's more self control then anything.

Like I've always said though, it's not the nicotine, it's the actual habit of smoking a cigarette - taking a break, inhaling, putting that cigarette to your mouth, etc.

My mother had to quit cold turkey not too long ago for her neck surgery. She went to a hypnotist as well and it helped her. She hasn't smoked since. I'd try it, but I'm a little iffy with that kind of stuff. I'd rather get some Chantix.

lace [at] gaytronix [dot] com

I Giggle Like A Girl Every Time I Hear The Word 'Watersports'
    well i have been good so far i did have one smoke today but that is all and right after i had my boyfriend hide them from me i think it is good i went from a box per day down to 1 smoke in 2 days

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    well i have been good so far i did have one smoke today but that is all and right after i had my boyfriend hide them from me i think it is good i went from a box per day down to 1 smoke in 2 days
    Just be careful with that ... telling yourself it's "ok" to have one, leads right back to a pack a day. In 2 days you are getting to the point where the nicotine is leaving your body, and then by giving into that one smoke you're replacing it again, and essentially starting over.

It's like those guys in AA for drinking ... they can't have "just one" or it takes them right back to the same level of intoxication all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by Lace View Post
    I'd rather get some Chantix.
    Well, my tv is running ads by lawyers warning against Chantix as it's causing people to black out and get hurt, and some people using it attempt, or actually manage to, commit suicide.:thumbsdown:

With those kinds of side effects, I think I'd opt for the hypnotist.

Any decent man you ever get is gonna find out you're half dyke and RUN. Lace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bec View Post
    Well, my tv is running ads by lawyers warning against Chantix as it's causing people to black out and get hurt, and some people using it attempt, or actually manage to, commit suicide.:thumbsdown:

With those kinds of side effects, I think I'd opt for the hypnotist.
    Everything has side effects. I know quite a few people who have used it and not had any problems.

lace [at] gaytronix [dot] com

www.HotDesertKnights.com hdkbill's Avatar
    Rich,

Good for you. Quitting smoking is the single one thing you can do for your health. It's is also one of the hardest things you will ever do, but it's worth it if you can. It's worth it not only to you, but to everyone who cares about you and loves you. The worst phone calls you will ever have to make is when you have to pick up the phone and call your mother, or your father or your lover, or your child or grandchild and tell them that you've only been given 4 months to live. As devastating as the news would be for you, can you imagine how devastating it will be for those who love you.

Do whatever it takes and whatever works for you. Gum, Chantix, hypnotism, cold turkey. What works for one person won't work for another. So, you have to find out what works for you and then go for it.

Something I didn't know until recently. There are basically two types of lung cancer. Small Cell Lung Cancer (SCLC - also called small cell carcinoma) and Non Small Cell Lung Cancer (NSCLC). The small cell lung cancer is almost ALWAYS caused by smoking, and is the worst type you can get. It is this type of cancer that most smokers get. It is the most aggressive, and in most cases you don't know you have it until it has already spread to other parts of your body at which time surgery is not an option. It normally doesn't even appear on a chest x-ray until is has already spread to other vital parts. And, it doesn't cause any pain or other symptons until it has gotten to a point where it is inoperable.

The NSCLC can be caused by many things, other than smoking. It is generally less aggressive, and more often treatable by a combination of surgery and/or chemo and radiation.

Good luck and just keep telling yourself you are doing it for everyone who loves you and wants to keep you around.

Bill

I am not gay but I have slept with some guys who are
    What important, very pertinent and genuinely caring advice, Bill. And Bec is absolutely right. Some of my family members quit, and it has done wonders. Rich, I know it isn't easy. But in some way it might help knowing that many, many people have successfully quit smoking and you definitely can and will, too!:thumbsup:

How long have you been gay?
    I used the nicotine patch for 8 months. Youre only suppose to be on it for like 12 weeks at most. But I stayed on the medium dose for a long time then the smallest dose for even longer. But hey it worked. Just remember, nicotine causes cancer just like cigs. Thats what I heard anyway.