Thread: How Do You Test a Niche Idea?

How Do You Test a Niche Idea?

I was just reading on gaydemon biz about a guy wanting to test out a micro niche, and was wondering just how would someone actually go about doing that without buying a domain and content and praying it sells? :morning:

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Well first and foremost, before testing any niche you HAVE to see if there is content available for it.

Ill typically hit up the Ounique and WWC sites and look through content sets and DVDs to see if there is anything usable, if i cant find at least 15 image sets and 8 DVD scenes in total i wont go any further with the idea.

Now, if i do find enough content, ill then do a quick search on Google for a bunch of related keyword phrases and look at what sites come up in the listings and what they have on them relating to the niche.

From there, its on to a domain name search.

Once i have a domain found that i like ill start with putting up a basic holding page and some SEO metas to get it listed and see how much natural traffic gets generated after 30 days.

30 days later, ill throw up a free site, tgp gallery or two and possibly a private paysite on the domain depending on how well i think the niche will work overall based on traffic, content, demand, etc, etc...

Regards,

Lee

I Giggle Like A Girl Every Time I Hear The Word 'Watersports'
    i build a free site for it and see how much traffic i can get then try to find a good paysite to promote

I am not gay but I have slept with some guys who are
    That is a very interesting and methodical approach, Lee. Perhaps I'm missing something obvious but here goes. When you do your Google search of related keyword phrases to see what sites come up, and what they have on those sites relating to the niche, what specifically are you looking for? Or what are a good/bad signs when you examine these search results and the content on the sites?

I'm not gay; I'm British! closer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    i build a free site for it and see how much traffic i can get then try to find a good paysite to promote
    word .....

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Quote Originally Posted by tim460 View Post
    That is a very interesting and methodical approach, Lee. Perhaps I'm missing something obvious but here goes. When you do your Google search of related keyword phrases to see what sites come up, and what they have on those sites relating to the niche, what specifically are you looking for? Or what are a good/bad signs when you examine these search results and the content on the sites?
    To be honest Tim, it depends on the niche.

For example, when i worked on our private http://www.wetmales.com paysite, i decided that would be a good niche to go with as there were actually listings in Google for sites that already featured guys in the shower, mud play, wet play, etc so that was a natural niche to build a site for, given no others were around for it.

Some of our other niche sites, for example http://www.baldstuds.com there were already listings for adult sites for the niche but, they were all free sites or galleries with text descriptions of models saying they were bald or balding.

Likewise one of the first private paysites i did, http://www.rimminghunks.com there were already a few rimming niche sites hwoever, only affiliates had free sites and galleries listed in the serps so that was a term that could easily be manipulated to get purely organic SE traffic to the site to generate niche sales.

On one of our more recent sites, http://www.athleticstuds.com i literally just launched that because it was a good domain name and i knew id get top rankings after a little SEO work which would knock some of the more popular paysites down the listings who were obviously attracting traffic from that search term.

Typically, if i feel it is a good search term, can find a reasonable 2 word domain name, has the content available then ill give pretty much any niche a try, there are some i will shy away from though because of to much competition, if i cant get a 1st page listing in at least Google, ill typically not build a site for a new niche i want to try unless and affiliate asks me to, like GayDemon Jr asked me to build him a tour he could send traffic to for the 'closeup' niche with http://www.closeupdicks.com - I know nothing about that niche, but he asked if it would be doable, we had the content and put the site together for him specifically.

Regards,

Lee