Thread: Iowa State Senator Who Pushed For Anti-Gay Amendment Loses Primary

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

Iowa State Senator Who Pushed For Anti-Gay Amendment Loses Primary

(Des Moines, Iowa) Senator Ken Veenstra won't be returning to the Iowa statehouse this fall. The veteran Republican lawmaker who led the call for an amendment to the state constitution to ban gay marriage, was defeated by his own party in last week's primary.

This spring Veenstra (R-Orange City) sponsored the marriage resolution saying Iowa's so-called defense of marriage law was not strong enough. Veenstra argued that only by amending the constitution could the legislature be certain judges would not overturn DOMA.

Democrats opposed the motion, accusing Veenstra of being mean spirited and attempting to use gays as a means to get reelected. Gov. Tom Vilsack opposed the measure. In the end, it was defeated, losing by only one vote. (story)

The anti-gay measure, and Veenstra's fiery rhetoric over it, did not sit well with voters. Orange City is in the most socially conservative part of the state, and that a Republican will represent the area is a foregone conclusion.

But, political observers said that Veenstra had campaigned poorly and was relying solely on his support for the proposed amendment to carry him through the primary. Following the vote, GOP strategists said that the relying on the anti-gay tactic didn't work pointing out that Veenstra even lost his hometown.

The Republican primary was won by Northwestern College economics professor Dave Mulder of Sioux Center. Mulder campaigned on a platform of fiscal responsibility, economic growth and strong support for public and private education.

Mulder opposes gay marriage, but did not make it an issue in the campaign, pressing economic issues instead.

http://www.365gay.com/newscon04/06/0...owaPrimary.htm

Lets hope this is a look into the future for the November elections :groovy:

Although, i wouldnt be surprised if Bush took a sudden u-turn on his stance of gay marriage after seeing what it can do to a campaign

Regards,

Lee

Darren Austin
    I have done several shows on Matthew Sheppard and I have to say bless Judy Sheppard's heart.I mean wow, to have to hear all of things about your son's death and lawyers it is almost never ending.
    I could not imagine , things like this would tear me apart.