Thread: Copying Licensed Content DVDs....

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

Copying Licensed Content DVDs....

Im about to burn some DVD content to other disks so we can send it to our storage archives but im wondering if this is classified as copyright abuse or not?

Is making copies of DVDs allowable if they are only being used as a 'backup' if something happens to the original disk?

Regards,

Lee

I am straight, but my ass is gay jIgG's Avatar
    I thought backups were covered by fair use :fucked:

Quote Originally Posted by jIgG View Post
    I thought backups were covered by fair use :fucked:
    Thats what i thought but im not sure if that is true for 'content' or not, im guessing it would be, unfortunately its 11pm in the UK and our attorney doesnt like being woken up at this time of night without double billing us LOL

Regards,

Lee

Even big named software allows a backup copy ... I'd think if it's licensed you'd have the same rights.

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    PFL bought a bunch of content from brokers. I know Maxpixels, XXXcontentdirect, and Ounique do allow backup copies as long as it is not for resale or any other replicated means that does not violate the license agreement.
    I in fact duplicated Rainbow Content image sets and sent them on a data DVD to our designers to re-do some of the other sites. But those sites are registered with Rainbow Content. I don't foresee a problem managing back up copies.

I am not a lawyer, but its my understanding that backups for your own personal use are not a violation of a content license.
    Luke H.
    Marketing Director
    Zbuckz.com, Jbuckz.com, Dickbank.com, Glamourbuckz.com

Quote Originally Posted by HunkMoneyLuke View Post
    I am not a lawyer, but its my understanding that backups for your own personal use are not a violation of a content license.
    Right but its not for 'personal' use, thats where im having issues finding information, its a 'business' backup.

Regards,

Lee

most businesses back up their servers every day, and that includes backing up applications and data that are subject to copyright and licenses. I really don't see the issue, but really what us board members think is pretty irrelevant in reality - you should contact your lawyer and ask!
    Luke H.
    Marketing Director
    Zbuckz.com, Jbuckz.com, Dickbank.com, Glamourbuckz.com

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    Or, he could contact those he purchased the licenses from.

How long have you been gay?
    Friend of mine is doing her legal degree and I asked her this when I was making a back up of all my Film and TV DVD's. Apparently a back up of your DVD is perfectly fine but not multiple backups as it can then be seen as making copies to distribute. So as a back up one is all thats needed anyway

boynapped.com - NAP 'EM AND TAP 'EM / gunzblazing.com - Up to 60% Rev and $40 PPS