Thread: Rotating banners with multiple links

I'm not gay; I'm British!

I Wonder? Rotating banners with multiple links

Hi, everyone!

I know how to create a rotating banner, which has multiple images. What I want to know is if it is possible to link the different images in the gif file to different sites. IE, let's say my first banner is to Yahoo, the second is to Myspace, and the third is to Youtube. Can I make it so #1 links to Yahoo, #2 to Myspace, and #3 to Youtube. Is there some sort of coding to allow for this?
    :snake:

I am unique, just like everybody else.
    Not sure you can do this with a single animated gif file but it is very easy to do with a simple php file. You can find one easy on the web or ask MarcJacob to set one up for you. I use them on my blog to rotate sponsor banners and links to sponsor FHGs.

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    So you have 1 banner spot, with multiple images being rotated and all you want to do is link those images to different urls?

Or, do you have a single .gif banner with individual frames and you want to link each individual frame to a diff url?

I have a javascript banner rotator somewhere i can post if you just want to rotate multiple banners/urls in the same spot, if you want to use a single graphic with multiple urls per frame, that sounds like something to do in flash.

Regards,

Lee

I'm not gay; I'm British!

Good Shit Banner

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    So you have 1 banner spot, with multiple images being rotated and all you want to do is link those images to different urls?

Or, do you have a single .gif banner with individual frames and you want to link each individual frame to a diff url?

I have a javascript banner rotator somewhere i can post if you just want to rotate multiple banners/urls in the same spot, if you want to use a single graphic with multiple urls per frame, that sounds like something to do in flash.

Regards,

Lee
    I would like one banner (gif file) to link to multiple sites. If that's javascript, and you can post it, that would really help!
    :daddy:

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Quote Originally Posted by accessdenied View Post
    I would like one banner (gif file) to link to multiple sites. If that's javascript, and you can post it, that would really help!
    :daddy:
    Thats not possible without setting up multiple banners with multiple URLs in some kind of rotation script.

I have a method you can use multiple urls in a text file but i cant ftp on to our server to grab the .php code right now as im uploading, once its done ill post the php code for you to link to

Regards,

Lee

Red Axe Programmers

one file

Hi There,

I think its impossible to embed links into a animated gif.

If you want one single file that contains all banners and links inside you should take a look at flash or silverlight. You can also use it to load banners and links from a text file, database, etc

Like suggested, using a php script you can make the banners rotate every time the page is refreshed. When using a iframe on your site and such a php script the whole page doesnt need to be refreshed. It can look the same way as an animate gif.

When you want to rotate the banner without having the page refreshed or using an iframe you can take a look at javascript.

There are many of these scripts on the internet for free.

If you like to try javascript but aren't so skilled in it, take a look at a javascript framework like: jquery, scriptaculous or mootools. It will create advanced javascript more easy!

Good Luck with it!