Thread: Flash Banners Vs Standard Banners?

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

Flash Banners Vs Standard Banners?

I was curious to find out if you folks are more or less likely to click on a flash banner over a standard animated gif or static .jpg banner when looking for programs to promote or seeing them on boards, resources, webmaster sites, etc?

For example, the AEBN banner above, would you click on something like that or, are you more likely to click on one of the standard 468x60 banners we have integrated in to the GWW header?

When it comes to clicking banners and stuff, do you find that you tend to gravitate towards flash or standard banners?

Regards,

Lee

Life is a dick and when itīs get hard---just fuck it... DEVELISH's Avatar
    i and my users gravitate more towards pictures... they are not clicking any banners on my sites I have so I just got rid of them and use faces instead
    :-D

Actually, the AEBN banner annoys me, as it hurts my eyes with that white out roll out it does to get attention.

If homosexuality is a disease, let's all call in queer to work.
    The text under the banners draws the most clicks for me.

How long have you been gay? Three hundred and sixty-five had come and went
    I agree with Bec. Flashing, popping banners make me not want to look at them, they are irretating. It's like someone tries to throw something in my face, hitting me. I prefer static banners.

I am not gay but I have slept with some guys who are
    Quote Originally Posted by attis View Post
    I agree with Bec. Flashing, popping banners make me not want to look at them, they are irretating. It's like someone tries to throw something in my face, hitting me. I prefer static banners.
    I have always felt that. It's sort of unfortunate for the creative potential of ads, because of the interesting effects and creative possibilities that can be had with these techniques. But when it comes down to it, they are really annoying and pushy to me. I feel like telling the ad to shut up and leave me alone.

THANK YOU AEBN (and Lee) FOR CHANGING THE BANNER ON GWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :luke:

I am not gay but I have slept with some guys who are
    Was going to add this to my post...

It's fascinating technology that is not going away, so I wonder if it just isn't being done right such as in the right context, or too crudely. Maybe there is a place for words flashing on and off or wiggling back and forth. I think maybe a smoother, friendlier animation might be more appealing. It seems like the attitude behind a lot of these banners is to shout at the viewer rather when maybe focusing on an appealing presentation might do the job better.

Gay Marriage - It's our Pearl Harbor.
    Animated GIF is better in my opinion. All browsers support them and they're less resource intensive. I regularly visited one site until they added a new Flash banner ad which consumed 75% of my CPU resources (that's 75% of TWO cpu's in a dual-core machine). It was stupid and irritating to see everything else I was running using a total of 5% of resources but one animated banner in the browser hogging another 75% just to get my attention. It worked, it got my attention so I could give the site my farewell kiss-of-death. Flash should only be for things that people seek out on purpose such as videos, games, and so on.

Kevin