Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom Content versus Leased Content

leedsfan

Custom Content versus Leased Content

As a content supplier it's in my best interest to tout the benefits of leasing content, versus the often costly (often not resulting in exactly what you want...) process of having custom content shot for your members area...but how do you fell about this perennially debated subject?

What are your thoughts as webmasters sending traffic to a program that has either of these, and which are your preferences to see in a program you support?

Also as paysites owners, what are your preferences...

And maybe we will hear from some program owners who have their own thoughts on the subject....

Dawgy
    there is a market for both

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Allan i would say personally i tend to lean more towards custom content however with that said, leased content shouldnt be cast aside either.

Both have their own unique selling points when it comes to paysite members areas and, although it may cost you more to have custom content imho this should be the sort of content paysites should primarily seek out, especially in todays volatile marketplace.

However, as said there is also a place inside paysites members areas for leased content afterall, if the leased feed, gallery, game or video provider has built thei name in a specific sector of the adult industry much like Chi Chi Larue has done then it adds an overall feel of 'quality' to a members area however, there are also drawbacks of each type of content to.

Whilst exclusive content can in many instance be costly (even though i know your costs are VERY reasonable ) a lot of the 'new' webmasters launching thei own paysites simply wont be able to go exclusive for months or even years however, on the other hand, filling your members areas with nothing but plug ins can also be a major turn-off to a surfer joining a site, why should they join your site if they can find everything you have and more at one of your competitors.

IMHO a even mixture of exclusive custom content and leased content i the way to go whilst ensuring the you also have enough 'filler' content to hold the members once their trial has passed

Regards,

Lee

graphicsbytia
    Originally posted by Lee
    Allan i would say personally i tend to lean more towards custom content however with that said, leased content shouldnt be cast aside either.

Both have their own unique selling points when it comes to paysite members areas and, although it may cost you more to have custom content imho this should be the sort of content paysites should primarily seek out, especially in todays volatile marketplace.

However, as said there is also a place inside paysites members areas for leased content afterall, if the leased feed, gallery, game or video provider has built thei name in a specific sector of the adult industry much like Chi Chi Larue has done then it adds an overall feel of 'quality' to a members area however, there are also drawbacks of each type of content to.

Whilst exclusive content can in many instance be costly (even though i know your costs are VERY reasonable ) a lot of the 'new' webmasters launching thei own paysites simply wont be able to go exclusive for months or even years however, on the other hand, filling your members areas with nothing but plug ins can also be a major turn-off to a surfer joining a site, why should they join your site if they can find everything you have and more at one of your competitors.

IMHO a even mixture of exclusive custom content and leased content i the way to go whilst ensuring the you also have enough 'filler' content to hold the members once their trial has passed

Regards,

Lee
    Good post Lee, I agree with what you're saying. I think custom content surely has it's place, and when clients ask me I advise them to use custom content for tour design and updates and use leased content for member's area filler.

Then there's avs sites.. custom is good for tours on avs sites and in the member's area the same way as you'd use it for a paysite.

Freesites, it's good to use leased content for these especially when you're targeting search engines with thousands of sites (this is where I get all of my best traffic from)

Freesites that you want to submit to link lists or tgp, either custom content or leased content that's not overused.

leedsfan
    both very good points.

Another thought is how about buying DVD content for exclusive rights, and using that content in your members area?

Mahoney
    Well I can tell you that i used to sell plugins (leased content) and now i sell Scenes that the webmasters can stream themselves.

I couldn't sell plugins to save my life but since i started selling licenses to content my sales have been amazing. Plus leased content is rarely updated in my experience and they also don't offer the following bennefits like worldwidecontent.com does

*** You can watermark the content with the name of your site.
    *** You can offer 10(sec)clips as promo to your webmasters.
    *** Each scene is less then 3 month old to the Internet
    *** Each scene will be NOT be sold more the 15 times
    *** Each scene comes with 20 pictures (TGP Ready)
    *** Each scene comes with 10 - 10 second clips
    *** Each scene was produced less then on year
    *** Semi Exclusive Content NOT Plugins
    *** Each scene is 20 min. long

At the end of the day buying licenses adds equity to your business and leased content DOES NOT

I am straight, but my ass is gay jIgG's Avatar
    when i think of leased galleries i think of all these crappy pay sites made out of brocker content that's available from the nearest TGP.

there's some good stuff though like Squirtz.com for example

Jigg i have to agree with you on the Squirtz feed it seems to deliver what it promises for sure

However i have also seen some of Allens content and have to admit that looks pretty good too :thumbsup:

Regards,

Lee

leased content VERY rarely has the same look and feel as content you host in your paysite - whether exclusive or non. also a lot of plugins have crappy interfaces and graphics.

if i have non exclusive content in my site, i'd rather pay for it once instead of monthly. we've been moving toward putting all the content on our server, bit by bit, and losing the lease stuff. well, we'll probably keep aebn ;-)

we got some content from worldwidecontent. the license says you can only use the videos - except for the 10 second clips they provide - in the member area. i like that idea, and hopefully that will keep the content a little fresher.

Originally posted by basschick
    the license says you can only use the videos - except for the 10 second clips they provide - in the member area. i like that idea, and hopefully that will keep the content a little fresher.
    You see th problem that i see with that though speaking purely from my own experiences with providers that issue similar types of licenses is that EVERY affiliate / paysite owner starts thinking the same thing and pretty soon you have even more content that would be no better than a plug in feed.

Regards,

Lee

i've definitely experienced that, but worldwidecontent says they only license each scene 10 times. i guess you could call it semi-exclusive.

are there other providers that license each video a limited number of times?

Im not sure if they still do with the new ownership but i beleive Fetish Brokers used to do that too.

I have also seen a few spam posts on other boards along the same lines too but honesty dont recall who the providers were

Regards,

Lee

leedsfan
    check out our Treys Top Tips product, and let me know what you think of our leased content. I do agree that in some circumstances some less than honourable companies don't update their content...and that sucks. But there are alwasy those that do, and do it regularly, sch as us.

OUr product is updates 4 times a month, for our leased feed clients, AND we have our host answer emails from their members...as well as do the odd message to the fans in response to particularly interesting comments from viewers, wherever the source. That is beyond the realm of budget constraints for most smaller operations, yet we deliver it for only a few hundred bucks a month......

now tell me there isn't a place for leased content, if its done well. All of our content is fresh, well thought out, and we have our clinets members in mind when we shoot episode updates. I strongly believe that is the future of leased content.

www.msquaredproductions.com go to demo, and the u/p is mspdemo/retention. scroll down to Treys Top Tips, and let me honestly know what you guys think.

thanks, and thanks for the feed back so far.

here are the problems i see with trey's top tips. first off, it's obvious that the surfer has left our site - the colors won't match, the headers won't match, the home link doesn't go to our home page.

second, the page layout is not very attractive. it's dark, cumbersome and some of the content only comes in wmv. my stats show that more of my surfers prefer mpg over other formats, so we give them wmv and mpg as a choice, in broadband and dialup. we give them clips and a full length. the paragraphs are huge without a break, and are taller than the graphics next to them.

all in all, to us lease this content, a designer would have to redo the layout and text entirely. then we'd consider it... but even so, if a guy joined another site, saw your content, then joined mine - he's going to see the EXACT same pages.

there is one lease content company that allows us to link to each video separately, and to configure the pages so they use our header and colors. also using templates, we can make our layout for the content different from any other site's. that is the only kind of lease content i consider would be a viable replacement for content we serve from our own server.

leedsfan
    Originally posted by basschick
    here are the problems i see with trey's top tips. first off, it's obvious that the surfer has left our site - the colors won't match, the headers won't match, the home link doesn't go to our home page.

second, the page layout is not very attractive. it's dark, cumbersome and some of the content only comes in wmv. my stats show that more of my surfers prefer mpg over other formats, so we give them wmv and mpg as a choice, in broadband and dialup. we give them clips and a full length. the paragraphs are huge without a break, and are taller than the graphics next to them.

all in all, to us lease this content, a designer would have to redo the layout and text entirely. then we'd consider it... but even so, if a guy joined another site, saw your content, then joined mine - he's going to see the EXACT same pages.

there is one lease content company that allows us to link to each video separately, and to configure the pages so they use our header and colors. also using templates, we can make our layout for the content different from any other site's. that is the only kind of lease content i consider would be a viable replacement for content we serve from our own server.
    thanks for your comments. I would like to just add a couple of retorts, if thats cool. You did just enjoy the demo section of our content region, not the supply area which has wmv, quicktime, high and low speed, broadband and dial up. All supplied in mpeg 4.
    The site delivery is also in redesign...giving you better ability to supply your surfers. In the near future we will be able to give you the choice to atailor our content to your requirements in terms of templates and colour schemes.