Thread: 2 Questions

I've always been openly gay. It would never occur to me to behave otherwise. maxx68's Avatar

2 Questions

Hello Everyone,

I certainly hope you all had a GREAT Holiday Season!

Now to my questions:

1. When creating a "Directory" is it better to have as many categories as possible? E.g, Anal, Oral, Bisexual, etc...I was wondering if being as niche specific as possible would be good or too overwhelming.

2. Do you prefer parent categories with subcategories or just a listing of categories (all categories & subcategories listed as if they were all parents)?

Thanks for your input!

I'm greedy - I like to grab anything I can in the Search Engines, so I create a category per niche, and make darn sure I have meta and/or keywords, alt tags, page title, etc to match the term per page.

Subcategories only if the parent lends itself to needing them. For instance if you just do Fetish, then it'd be populated with child categories for feet, bondage, watersports, etc. Or if the parent is Ethnic, then the child groups would be Asian, Latin, European, etc.

That Help Any?? :bunny:

GWW Community Member
    I found that the problem with going too specific with directory categories is that you end up nothing in them, so then your directory can start to look lame. Sure, it's nice to capitalize on "blond men" as a keyword, but if you can't fill it, it's almost counter productive.

When I ran a directory site I had loads of very specific categories, over time I closed and merged many of them.

I guess it really depends upon the point or goal of your directory. If it's a paysite directory then you don't need to have a blond twinks and redhead twinks category, twinks would suffice, I'd think.

Michael

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    It depends on what your goal is for the directory?

If you are looking to snad search engine traffic then it would make sense to have as many categories as possible, so long as you are keywording those directory page templates, you can always put 'affiliate' sites in those categories if you want to.

If however you are looking to get submissions from other webmasters, then it would probably be prudent to keep the amount of categories to a bare minimum, twinks, bears, cowboys, latin, solo, hardcore, fetish, etc, etc...

In terms of parent catgories, again, depending on your purpose for the directory, SE's give more weight to higher level sub directories than they do lower level so an index page for /directory/twinks/ will typically rank higher than an index page for /directory/twinks/blondes/.

Regards,

Lee

Am I Bitter?...Absolutely
    Yes, right now i think over it also and i decided to make as much directories as i can remember And yes, with subdirectories.
    DIAMONDGAYS.com - fresh twinks and best ratio! Highly recommended!

I like going with a reasonable number of categories and one for "other". I don't really like sub-categories.
    Luke H.
    Marketing Director
    Zbuckz.com, Jbuckz.com, Dickbank.com, Glamourbuckz.com

I've always been openly gay. It would never occur to me to behave otherwise. maxx68's Avatar

Wow!

Hey Luke glad to see ya back in one piece!

Thanks everyone for all the great advice. I tend to go over board, right now I have something like 212 categories.

I'm gonna do some refining and hopefully come up with a good mix.

Just one more and I'll shut up about it...LOL.

I'm setting up a Tube Site Directory, its not orientation specific, I want ALL adult tube sites gay and straight to submit their links, so this is what I thinking of doing...

Have my list of genres and on the submit link page ask if the site is gay or straight so when it is listed visitors will see if its gay clips or straight clips.

My point being is this way I can have one set of categories instead of one for gay tube sites and one for straight.

Sound feasible?

Thanks