View Poll Results: Would You Be Straight If You Could?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Definately!

2 7.69%
  • Yes, Probably!

1 3.85%
  • No, Probably Not!

3 11.54%
  • No, Definately Not!

20 76.92%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wish You Were Straight?

DigitalJay

I Wonder? Wish You Were Straight?

If you could snap your fingers and wake up straight the next day, would you?

My answer? Hell No! I was lucky enough to be born into the wealthiest, most educated minority on earth, and i'm thankful for it every day! It's allowed me to see things more clearly and in a way I don't think I would have, had I been born straight. There is a hugely important cause that I can be a part of the solution to, because of it's effect on me everyday; human rights. It gives me a sense of purpose, a sense of self-knowledge, and yet it is not all of me or all of what I will become. Just a very, very important part of me that I would never trade. Thinking back, I can't even ever remember a time during my life when I wished I was straight. The easy road is hardly ever the best one. As the Christians love to say; God never makes mistakes!

Please everyone respond! I want to know your views and why you have them, and don't be ashamed of the way you feel one way or the other, own it and understand it.

I'm A Confirmed Trisexual CuriousToyBoy's Avatar
    I am straight, but oft times I wish I would wake up and be gay.

If it wasn't for my total attraction to breasts and my dislike of handling penises that are not mine, I damn well would be.

I shit you not.

And I am not taking the piss in this post, I am being honest.

:bandana:

Hammer
    It's natural to want to be something we're not. People with straight hair often wish they had curly hair and visa versa; tall people wish they were shorter and short people wish they were taller; skinny people wish they were bigger and fat people wish they were thinner; guys with little dicks wish they had bigger ones and guys with big ones wish they had... okay, well I guess we don't all wish we were different.

I have to honestly say though that I have never wished I was gay. That one kind of escapes me. I believe I already have all of the attributes that I admire in gay men. I'm caring and sensitive, I have a strong sense of fashion, I love to cook, I'm artistic, women have always liked me, men have always liked me and I have plenty of money.

I also have a beautiful wife to whom I am legally married and two incredible daughters and don't need to rely on having a pet to make my life complete, so I can't imagine why I would want to give any of that up.

TheLegacy
    wanting to be anything different than what you are is too me a sign of unhappiness - I dont think your going to find anyone who wants to change since spending so long in the closet hiding who they really are from friends and family - there is more than likely too much pressure to become straight as it is.

problem I see is that the younger ones who call themselves gay are not really - they hit on girls at the bars etc. - they are merely looking for a hole in the washroom wall to stick their dinky - as long as they get off they dont care whats on the other side.

Jasun
    This actaully came up in conversation last night with one of my buddies' new girlfriends. I know that when I was about 14 and going through that "I don't wanna be different" phase that younger teenagers go through, I certainly did want to be straight.

But when I really thought about it once I got a bit older, I realized that I didn't want to be "straight" so much as "Normal". That now sounds really lame, but I was a teenager living in a rural part of Canada; I didn't really have any role models to show me I could be a plain old regular guy, listen to Judas Priest and Black Sabbath and ride a motorcycle and play hockey and drink beer and play pool with my friends and all those other things that "regular" guys do.

I have no fashion sense. I can't cook. I'm a slob, I smoke Cuban cigars and drink Whiskey. I don't do these things to play straight (as gay people often accuse me of doing) but because it's what I do... it's what I'm like.

Being gay really isn't any part of that at all. At one point even in my 20s I wished I was straight so I could just be like my friends, but now I realize that I AM like my friends. And if being gay isn't an issue to them, it isn't one to me, either. So I guess I'll just take the things that make me into me.

And of course, the fringe benefits that straight people get in other countries don't really exist here. We can get married (not that I'd want to), and it's very common for gay couples to raise children (woudln't want that either). So why be straight? I mean, it's tought to find a guy who likes the things that I do, but no harder that it would be to find a woman who liked Motorcycles, Metal, Beer, Harry Potter and Batman comics.

Have an idea and make it come to life! Gary-Alan's Avatar
    Bec asked me this in my Get to know thread...

So I thought I'd copy my response

"No! To be honest, despite the pitfalls (like prejudice, bashing, misconception about being gay, etc) I enjoy the company I stand with. It has not been easy. But, it has opened me up to experiences and possibilities that I, honestly, think I would have never had if I were straight. My life has been filled with creative, dramatic, flamboyant, extravagant, beautiful people (both gay and straight). I couldn’t wish that away for anything. I could actually go on and on about this. I think you get my drift The bottom line is, I'm happy with me. "

Now I won't lie and say I haven't thought about it when I was younger. A lot of those thoughts came out of fear and ignorance... I was in Catholic prep school when they discovered 'GRIDS' (now AIDS). I didn't want to die for feeling the way I did. And as my history would tell this had more of an impact on me later than I thought it would at that time (but that's another story all together).

When I look back (and look forward) I see so much good from my community, from my friends and from this life. I wouldn't have it any other way.

GA

Jasun, it doesn't sound lame to want to be normal. man is a gregarious animal, and that's a lot easier to fulfill if others accept you.

i'm bisexual, always have been, and am very happy to be me. and to paraphrase george carlin "i bet bisexuals get a lot of phone numbers" *LOL*

Dawgy
    i think we all have our 'straight days'

Ounique
    In all honesty, I would not want to be straight because that would mean changing the person that I am. I had a lot of trouble coming out and even before that I had troubles in trying to "fit in" back in my school days. I now know exactly who I am and where I stand and I would not want it any other way.

When I was running for President of my leather club, I was asked a certain question. We had all the other offices run first and I had asked each person "If you could be any animal, what would it be". It sounds like a funny question but you can learn a lot about a person with it. I never thought someone would turn the tables on my and ask me the same question. So when it came my time, someone did ask. I had to really think about it because even though I had asked it of others, I had never really thought about it myself. I answered quite honestly, a human being named Don.

i know exactly what you mean, don mike. people ask "if you could be anyone for a day, who would you be?" or "what animal would you like to be?"

with all the problems i have in my life, i'd still rather be me than anyone or anything i can think of. i'd just rather be me with less problems

Ounique
    Originally posted by basschick
    with all the problems i have in my life, i'd still rather be me than anyone or anything i can think of. i'd just rather be me with less problems
    Okay, ya got me. I'd rather be me, only a thinner me. But I'm working on that one.

RainGurl
    like jasun said, i remember being a teenager, already feeling like i was so incredibly different from my peers, wishing i could just be "normal."
    funny thing is, i'm pretty different from most of the lesbians i know too.
    like others have said, it's best when you can get to a place in your life where you are just happy to be who you are. being gay is a part of who I am, but certainly does not complete the definition.
    wishing I was straight would be like wishing i was 6-foot tall - just not going to happen, so i don't even consider it.

hammer- that's great that you have a wife and kids and feel like your life is complete. I have a wife and 2 dogs, feel like my life is complete, and certainly don't feel like I am settling...

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Originally posted by Hammer
    I also have a beautiful wife to whom I am legally married
    Huh? :eek:

Regards,

Lee

Have an idea and make it come to life! Gary-Alan's Avatar
    Originally posted by Hammer
    I also have a beautiful wife to whom I am legally married and two incredible daughters and don't need to rely on having a pet to make my life complete, so I can't imagine why I would want to give any of that up.
    Hammer,

I’m happy that you have this. I really am.

But in all honesty, I feel like I just got punched in the stomach. That you just rubbed this shit right in my face.

Whether you meant it or not, the level of insensitivity that is in this statement is unbelievable. Have you forgotten where you’re posting? GAY Wide Webmasters!

I have a husband I can NOT legally marry… I have a dog who for all intents and purpose is the closest thing Lee and I will ever have to a daughter without going out of the country to adopt or have to suffer through the legalities finding a surrogate mother or the ordeal of losing a child to a surrogate birth mother because the laws are weighted against us.

Whether intended or not… you just walked into MY house and insulted my family and me, who face the same issues every single day.

Gary-Alan

hmmm... i feel i am really missing something here... i'm SOOOO confused.

not long ago, everyone on this board said it was cool if straight people worked in the gay market, and seemed to say they were cool at this board. so is it okay to be straight as long as you're not happy? okay so long as you're not straight and happily married?

or was it this remark:

"...don't need to rely on having a pet to make my life complete, so I can't imagine why I would want to give any of that up."

'cause if not, i must have missed a meeting...