Thread: Changing Software / Browsers / Etc...

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

Changing Software / Browsers / Etc...

I was wondering if anyone else found that they have a difficult time working on 'new' software products when they decide to switch/upgrade etc?

The past few months i have actually been using Opera as my main browser and even though i really like it, im finding that i still try to 'close' the main window rather than an individual tab because i have been using IE for so long without tabbed browsing being enabled.

Does anyone else find they don't transition easily from different types of software/browsers etc than they have previously used and continually make stupid little errors like my example above, that aren't so much important one way or the other, just kind of like a 'doh' moment.

Regards,

Lee

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    i was given a new laptop. My old one crashed out. now the one i have has windows 7 on it. it's taking some getting used to. actually i like 7 better than vista. much better. the other day i was using firefox for one thing and IE for another. IE took some getting used to since I hadn't used it in years.

I tried using Safari and got really annoyed by it. I very briefly used Chrome and didn't find it nearly as intuitive as Firefox. But then, I generally don't like using new software, and if I do switch, it better knock my socks off, or I'm just going to switch back

I agree with you Chip. Changing software is a pain. Safari isn't all that great in my eyes.

Life is a dick and when itīs get hard---just fuck it... DEVELISH's Avatar
    Just a curious question...

How do you "work" with a browser?

I just type in URLs and hit 'enter' and the browser renders the code it downloads....

DEV
    :-D

How long have you been gay? Three hundred and sixty-five had come and went
    Quote Originally Posted by DEVELISH View Post
    Just a curious question...

How do you "work" with a browser?

I just type in URLs and hit 'enter' and the browser renders the code it downloads....

DEV
    Have you ever used browser addons? They make the browser a powerful tool and actually save you the installation of additonal software in many cases.

Life is a dick and when itīs get hard---just fuck it... DEVELISH's Avatar
    I did install one or two browser add-ons for firefox over the years

Right now I have ColorZilla, Firebug, MeasureIt installed in Firefox... but again ... I do not "work" with those plugins but rather use them (well, except Firebug)

I'm a purist who uses one specific tool for a given task. Mail for eMails, Photoshop for images, safari for browsing, parallels for windows crap (IE mainly), Fraise/Smultron html/css coding, ForkLift for FTP.

I test my handwriten sites under Safari, Firefox 2/3 (win&mac), IE 6-8 on Win and various Operas on Mac&Win (basically the three big browser engines WebKit, Gecko, Trident)

But to come back to the original question: No, I do not find it difficult or bothersome to change from one software to the other, that's why I just use dedicated tools for the tasks I want to accomplish.

That makes it easier for me to switch to other applications which I think fit my needs better then the one I used before. Each tool must be great in what it's supposed to do.

When I opt for a new product I check the community around that product, see how it is received by the users and if they are active in helping each other. I also check the update intervals of the application and WHAT was changed in the last few releases. If it's open source "yeeeeahhh", if it is closed and for pay I'm happy to pay for good work.

DEV
    :-D

I am unique, just like everybody else.
    I do the same thing switching between IE and FF. Always trying to close the browser rather than the tab. The latest upgrade to IE is horrible and I have been using FF more everyday. I have the same issue with ICQ where I click the x to close the contacts window but am still logged in even though AFK for hours.

Some software upgrades have caused me major headaches as well. I hate going back and forth on my two machines with one using Office 97 and the other running the latest version. The commands, toolbars, icons, and everything are different.

No no i'm really handsome, all the lesbians love me.
    I customize the software to fit my quirks. The Firefox user interface, for example,
    is all laid out CSS and in an HTML like language called XUL. So if you can make
    and edit a web page, you can edit your browser.

I do the same thing switching between IE and FF. Always trying to close the browser rather than the tab.
    So go into the CSS and make that close button hot pink or something that will
    grab your attention and make you think for a split second before clicking it.
    Once you start playing with it you'll find other things you'd like to change.
    For example, I added a CSS rule to display all banners at 1/4th their normal size.

Of course I have this flexibility because I use no Microsoft software. Virtually
    everything I use is open source, so I have full source to make any changes, but
    normally I don't need the source - just configuration. The non-MS software I use
    is built based on the idea that the user should be in charge of the machine, not
    the other way around. I feel for those of you using MS style software that
    assumes the user is too stupid or lazy to figure out what they want to do, and
    therefore the machine should be in charge of the person.
    --
    Ray B. Morris
    support@bettercgi.com

Strongbox - The next generation in site security:
    http://www.bettercgi.com/strongbox/

Throttlebox - Next generation in intelligent bandwidth control
    http://www.bettercgi.com/throttlebox/

Clonebox - Next generation disaster prevention
    http://www.bettercgi.com/clonebox/

Affiliate program:
    http://www.bettercgi.com/affiliates/user/register.php