Thread: What are Yahoo rankings based on?

Inactive GWW Members

Heres A Thought What are Yahoo rankings based on?

What are Yahoo rankings based on? What's the difference between them and Google in ranking a page?

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    I beleive Yahoo ranking are currently using the Inktomi algorythm although i could be wrong

Regards,

Lee

Have an idea and make it come to life! Gary-Alan's Avatar
    Originally posted by Lee
    I beleive Yahoo ranking are currently using the Inktomi algorythm although i could be wrong

Regards,

Lee
    And that means...?

BDBionic
    Currently Yahoo! is using a couple different factors to calculate their webrank:

1. Mainly, their webrank #s are based on visits to a site by surfers with the Yahoo! toolbar installed on their browser. The more toolbar users visit a site, the higher its webrank goes.
    2. There is the possibility that backlinks are factored in as well, a la Google pagerank. But it would be a nominal part of the equation, in relation to toolbar user traffic especially. This is a guess, though, as we're not really sure that backlinks are factored in to it. But in studying their response to Google's tactics and systems and the degree of competition between the two, it'd be a decent assumption to make that Yahoo! is incorporating a bit of that in to their own offerings.

So pretty much, it's what Alexa's ranking system is.
    Surfers install the Yahoo! toolbar on to their browser - IE only - and when they visit a site, Yahoo! records that visit, compiles the information from all surfers, and comes out with their webrank #.

Originally posted by Gary-Alan
    And that means...?
    Take a look

http://www.webpronews.com/insiderrep...thInktomi.html

Regards,

Lee

Weber
    I've noticed that Yahoo lists all new sites very fast.
    In fact, I can make new site, optimize it, using different tools and after 2-3 days it will be listed there. But I can't even imagine how it ranks all sites!

Originally posted by Weber
    I've noticed that Yahoo lists all new sites very fast.
    In fact, I can make new site, optimize it, using different tools and after 2-3 days it will be listed there. But I can't even imagine how it ranks all sites!
    Google does that for me too

Regards,

Lee

Xstr8guy
    Damn... I went and installed the toolbar because I thought it had a traffic ranking feature like Alexa... but noooo!

Weber
    I haven't seen any other toolbars, besides Alexa toolbar, that have traffic stats

Xstr8guy
    I thought I read somewhere in the thread about Yahoo's toolbar ranking traffic... must have been poor comprehension on my part. That's what I get for skimming threads.

Weber
    I also have noticed that yahoo is like "young" google. It allows so "rude" doorways... I think they will change algorythm soon!

Inactive GWW Members
    Originally posted by BDBionic
    ...1. Mainly, their webrank #s are based on visits to a site by surfers with the Yahoo! toolbar installed on their browser. The more toolbar users visit a site, the higher its webrank goes.
    So pretty much, it's what Alexa's ranking system is.
    Surfers install the Yahoo! toolbar on to their browser - IE only - and when they visit a site, Yahoo! records that visit, compiles the information from all surfers, and comes out with their webrank #.
    But wouldn't that make sites ranked well to stay there forever, since they are the most visited? Even if they are not relevant, a user clicks on that link and sees that afterwards, but it already counts towards the number of visits.
    So, are you sure the visits from their toolbar counts, and if so as an important factor, in ranking a page?

BDBionic
    Originally posted by Cash
    But wouldn't that make sites ranked well to stay there forever, since they are the most visited? Even if they are not relevant, a user clicks on that link and sees that afterwards, but it already counts towards the number of visits.
    So, are you sure the visits from their toolbar counts, and if so as an important factor, in ranking a page?
    I don't think the webrank really plays much in to where the page ranks in their index. It's pretty much a useless statistic, not having much meaning as far as where the page shows up in the search results and merely being a reflection of what kind of traffic goes to it among toolbar users.

Inactive GWW Members
    Originally posted by BDBionic
    I don't think the webrank really plays much in to where the page ranks in their index. It's pretty much a useless statistic, not having much meaning as far as where the page shows up in the search results and merely being a reflection of what kind of traffic goes to it among toolbar users.
    I understand about webrank, it probably is like Google's PR in terms of importantce, but I was asking about that clicking on a listing from the Yahoo toolbar, if you know from your experience that this is an important factor in ranking a page or not ...
    I never thought of that, because it seems to me this way the first listings are the most clicked, naturally, so they would stay there longer, although the site itself may not be as relevant as you would expect for a certain keyword ...