Thread: Alternatives to Comcast internet service?

Camper than a row of tents

Alternatives to Comcast internet service?

I'm moving to a town where the main cable TV and internet provider is Comcast. I've called them a few times and am really turned off by their customer service. I think I'll just get an antenna for my digital HDTV but for internet what are my options? Or in other words, what comes closest in speed to cable broadband? I don't think DSL does but what about these new 3G and 5G wireless networks? I really don't want to give Comcast any of my money but since my job requires fast net access I'm afraid I might be stuck with them.

I'm not gay; I'm British! SluggerJ's Avatar
    Google "your town, your state, broadband" and see what comes up.

If Verizon is the primary phone company, you can look online to see if FIOS is available. Or, at least see what the local DSL speeds are before ruling them out.

if price isn't an option you can use satellite. It is more expensive and sluggish, but it is an alternative.

When I moved here I didn't realize that we didn't get cable. Yes, I live that far in the country. They haven't got lines this way yet.. perhaps in 10 years.. LOL so my only option is satellite or dsl.
    :pinkylove:Sex is like air, you don't notice you need it until you don't have any!:pinkylove:

Gay Marriage - It's our Pearl Harbor.

Check It Out Europeans Billing Europe!

Finally got rid of our intermittent ATT DSL here in Fort Lauderdale and switched TO Comcast - it's been great here - and when we had satellite access was too affected by the weather to be considered reliable - I guess Comcast service can vary across the country, but it's good here...
    BLOG IT!
    How Will You Spend Your 2011 EU Profits? - Webbilling.com

European Direct Debit Billing - Your Only Risk Is More Revenue!

www.HotDesertKnights.com hdkbill's Avatar
    I've had satellite and it is just too sluggish. Like you, I got fed up with Comcast and got Verizon DSL. Surprisingly, it does good and I live in a small town with only 6,000 population. Give it a try, or check you area and see what their speeds are and if it seems fast enough, give it a try. You may be shocked. If you live in a small area, it's unlikely that FIOS will be there yet, but they'll let you know.

Bill

I Blog Naked
    You can use this new company I keep hearing about Xfinity,
    OH wait, it's just comcast with a new name, same shitty everything, especially service.
    Don't know what to tell ya.
    It's a monopoly.
    Good luck tho, and please let us know how the 3G 4G thing works if that's what you choose.