Thread: What PC brand should I buy?

Camper than a row of tents

What PC brand should I buy?

I'm in the market to get a new PC to mainly edit HD video footage and was wondering if anyone can recommend a brand they like. I've had Dell and have been happy with them but I'm reading horror stories about their customer support and how it has gone way downhill. What PC company do you think has the best tech support?

Please don't suggest Apple... I'm a PC guy and want to stay on that platform. I'm also on a budget and comparable Macs are about twice as much as a PC. I'm even hearing stories about how their tech support has gotten worse.

If homosexuality is a disease, let's all call in queer to work. webnet's Avatar
    Im very happy with my Dell Precision Workstation

Life is a dick and when itīs get hard---just fuck it... DEVELISH's Avatar
    hehe ... Mac is not PC - so you get a PC answer

Go with the big guys HP, DELL, IBM or Lenovo or whatever they are called now

OR find a PC store that is close to you and longtime in the business.

Either way... Find someone you know where to throw your machine back to when it's broken and kick some butt.
    :-D

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    Quote Originally Posted by DEVELISH View Post
    Go with the big guys HP, DELL, IBM or Lenovo or whatever they are called now
    We are big time into HP. In fact that's all that we have. The great thing about HP's is you can run them hard and they keep up with you. All of our editing and encoding computers are all HP, and they've been running smoothly for about 3 years now. They are HP Pavillion Media Center's or something on those lines.

I am unique, just like everybody else.
    I've been very happy with Dell and HP. My friend has a Toshiba that runs very nice.

A lot of "Name Brand" computers come pre installed with a lot of crap that most computer literate users don't need and probably don't want. As Devilish says, find a local computer store that has been around a while and have them build you something from scratch. Or, you can build your own custom machine from Dell and places like CDW.

Drag is when a man wears everything a lesbian won't. lisa's Avatar
    Dell or Toshiba!! Both are great!

Zero Tolerance for Pirates! MediaAbuseLLC's Avatar
    I recently bought a quad-core ZT Systems machine from Costco and I'm very happy with it. It was about $650 without extras (monitor, etc). Great deal. They build these here in the US (can you believe it) and are known mostly for business/server machines and network systems.
    More here: ztsystems(dot)com (Why can't I post links again? This is why I don't come here often) or Costco(dot)com.

Prior to that I used all Dell, all the time.

Am I Bitter?...Absolutely
    I have 3 Dells running in the house now..

As for HP I had one that was awesome until the first time it needed to be fixed. Power plug piece connected directly to the mother board broke. then it was all down hill over about a 2 month period.

I have had several Sony VAIO machines that have not lasted long because of the power supply causing a meltdown in every single occassion, so I would not recommend that line. I bought a Toshiba satellite over a year ago and so far so good *fingers crossed*. A lot of my friends are happy with their Toshibas. The longest running comp I have is a custom-built machine, not one already put together, just upgrade as needed.
    Syd (Squidney)
    Webmaster for hire
    ICQ# 143-690-760