Thread: In Loving Memory of HDK Bill

President - Hot Desert Knights hdklee's Avatar

In Loving Memory of HDK Bill

Dear friends,
    It is my deepest regret, to tell you all that William C. “Bill” Atkinson Gardner, better known as HDKBill, age 62, formerly of Palm Springs, CA and most recently of Seaford, DE, passed away this morning on September 8th at 3:30am EST after a vigorous courageous battle with lung cancer. We remember him, cherish him, and honor him. Bill you have long been in our prayers, and will always be remembered and held in our hearts.

As many friends know, Bill was diagnosed with Lung Cancer almost exactly one year ago to the day, in September of 2009, for which he fought a long courageous battle to try and overcome.
    He passed away at home surrounded by his loving family who were by his side and held his hand to the end. With Gods blessing and the many prayers from friends and loved ones, he slept almost entirely throughout his final last few days and went peacefully.

He is survived by his wife, Theresa M. Atkinson of Columbus, Ohio, a qualified nurse who nursed and cared for him 24/7 throughout the final months of his battle with cancer. He is also survived by his loving daughter, Brandy R. Atkinson of Seaford Delaware, son, Jason W. Atkinson of Columbus, Ohio and his beloved granddaughter of Seaford , DE. Our deepest condolences go out to Bill's family at this difficult time. We are so sorry for your loss.

Bill was best known as the founder and CEO of Hot Desert Knights, Inc., a company that produces adult entertainment for the gay community. Started in 1998, Hot Desert Knights, Inc., quickly became a leader in the gay adult entertainment industry with sales throughout the world, and despite all this success, it never went to his head. He was always a very caring and generous person to his staff and co-workers, who he treated as family.

Bill was formerly actively involved in politics, and served as City Manager and City Councilman of Bellefontaine, Ohio and was President of The Delaware Motor Transport Association, an affiliate of the American Trucking Association. He was also well known as the owner and founder of C.T.T.S., a company dedicated to helping people in the trucking industry comply with Osha and government regulations, for which he wrote a book and gave countless seminars to thousands of people across the country, before his partial retirement to Palm Springs in 1994.

Bill was the kind of guy who would quite literally give the shirt of his back and give it to you if you needed it.....then offer his trousers! Bill's heart was always filled with compassion, a giving attitude and the wit that went beyond human comprehension. If you were down and out, he would cast miles of smiles and humorous 'one-liners' to pull you out of a downward spiral. He never once asked for anything back in return, always defining this as "the way we do it". He also gave openhandedly to so many causes in the gay community; his generosity was astounding. He has touched so many lives along the way and left his mark within this community, leaving a deep imprint with those lives he touched. My heart goes out to so many, knowing the pain they must feel from such a loss. We all miss him greatly.

Bill's favorite drink was "Crown Royal", and one of his endearing final wishes was that all his friends, where ever they maybe, would toast him with a glass of Crown Royal and celebrate his life. So please join us as we honor a man of men, a steward of this community and the heart and soul of HDK.
    Bill......rest peacefully, you've earnest so much gratitude from so many. You are loved by many and will be sorely missed.

A private memorial service for Bill will be held in Seaford, DE at a later date. In lieu of flowers the family requests that donations be sent to the Aids Assistance Program, 1276 N. Palm Canyon Drive, Palm Springs, CA 92262.

Respectfully yours,
    Lee
    President
    Hot Desert Knights, Inc.
    lee@hotdesertknights.com

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    Lee, I heard. I got a telephone call this morning.
    This is sadening and it's a very tough day for both JJ and I. He's certainly going to be missed.
    If you guys at HDK need anything please don't hesitate to contact us!

Quote Originally Posted by PFLJayden View Post
    This is sadening and it's a very tough day for both JJ and I. He's certainly going to be missed.
    If you guys at HDK need anything please don't hesitate to contact us!
    It's a very sad day. No matter what preparation you have, when the news finally comes, it's still a shock!
    It's hard to know what to say or do, it's like being hit by a bus. I'll miss him so much, from his 'one-liners' and incredible humor, to the incredible friendship we had, to his ability to lift the hearts and spirits of so many, and spread laughter and joy to all those he touched.
    I know you are also going to miss him too, he was an incredible presence in all our lives.

Thanks for all the kind words it's greatly appreciate!
    Lee

this is very sad news indeed, Bill was always a stand up guy, which made him very special.

My condolences to his family and close ones. May he rest in peace.
    Luke H.
    Marketing Director
    Zbuckz.com, Jbuckz.com, Dickbank.com, Glamourbuckz.com

Quote Originally Posted by HunkMoneyLuke View Post
    this is very sad news indeed, Bill was always a stand up guy, which made him very special.

My condolences to his family and close ones. May he rest in peace.
    Hi Luke,
    Thank you for the very kind words. I will be sure to pass your condolences on to the family.
    It is very sad indeed, Bill was such great guy in so many ways. He did so much for so many. He was a champion of looking after and helping people less fortunate than himself. The World has lost a Very Good Man!

Thank you,
    Lee

I am very saddened by his passing. Over the years I found him to be funny, opinonated, highly intelligent, and generally a really great guy to know. I always looked forward to reading his posts. He will be missed here.

Please extend my condolences to his family... and to you and the staff as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bec View Post
    I am very saddened by his passing. Over the years I found him to be funny, opinonated, highly intelligent, and generally a really great guy to know. I always looked forward to reading his posts. He will be missed here.

Please extend my condolences to his family... and to you and the staff as well.
    Hi Bec,
    Thank you for the kind words and message. I can see how you would form that opinion of him. He was a very intelligent man, but that statement actually does not really do him justice. He was an amazing character, with a very big heart and was such a wonderful man.
    Your right one of his most endearing qualities was he had an amazing sense of humor, he was a very funny man and never took anything too seriously. I am quite sure he will be missed on the boards. We all miss him immensely.
    He has imparted in the minds of family and friends and those who loved him wonderful memories which we will treasure forever!

I will be sure to pass your condolences on to the family.
    Thank you,
    Lee

I am not gay but I have slept with some guys who are
    crazy. counting my cat, which I do, this is the 4th person in my circle of knowledge to die in the last few weeks.

Bill always seemed like a great guy.