Thread: Why Do Webmasters Concern Themselves With The Way Others Run Their Businesses?

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

Why Do Webmasters Concern Themselves With The Way Others Run Their Businesses?

So i was just having a conversation with someone on AIM and the conversation turned to the layout of one of our resource sites.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, i was basically told that how i had the banner and buttons setup on the site was all wrong now, i know that i am always screwing around with the layouts of paid ad spots to ensure our advertising clients get the best ROI we can give them but, to me, telling someone that they are doing something the wrong way just because it isnt done elsewhere seems kind of fucked up

Ill run my business and you run yours LOL

I just dont get what the fascination with what everybody else does in the industry is, so what if i have a banner at the bottom of a page, its obviously there for the simple reason that it works otherwise, it wouldnt be in that placement LOL

Anyway thats my kinda rhetorical question come thought come rant over and done with

Regards,

Lee

Dawgy
    everyone in this biz thinks their way is the best way.

which is lame, cuz we all know that my way is the best.

Have an idea and make it come to life! Gary-Alan's Avatar
    Originally posted by Dawgy
    which is lame, cuz we all know that my way is the best.
    Dale ya didn't let me down... I knew you'd say something like that

GA

BDBionic
    I never tell anyone how they should run their business.

I only tell other people how someone should run their business behind that person's back.

BDBionic
    In all seriousness, though, sharing one's opinion with others is all well and good. Or if it's a matter that has a real effect on both webmasters - such as how a business arrangment between the two should be implemented most effectively or how one person is doing something that has a real and tangible effect on the other person - but otherwise, people would best serve themselves to avoid needless frustration and aggravation by not overly concering themselves with what other people are doing.

The world has no shortage of people confident their way is the only way, though.

DigitalJay
    I agree with you, but it also seems like it's the way the person was saying it. They weren't exactly offering constructive advice. Besides, anyone who has done their research knows that people look at a website in a Z pattern, making top and bottom ads the best way to go.

i don't think it's webmasters; it's just people.

i always hear people - men and women - criticize boyfriends, interior decoration, clothes, and all sorts of stuff when they have not been asked and are not close friends with the person they are talking with. it's amazing, really. i used to know a woman who was a pro at this - she went up to this local celeb she did not even know in the market and told her her legs would look better in high heeled boots - and later told me she really wanted to help. what the fuck???

i think everybody likes to feel like an expert. giving advice helps them experience that feeling - even when they're not experts and their advice sucks, as well as being unwelcome.

go figure!

dont be jealous becuase i'm beautiful, be jealous because i just fucked your boyfriend
    Calm down Lee. You have a free site that is visited by many Webmasters. Remember, people that visit GWW are technically customers of yours. They have every right to express their concerns. Likewise, it is up to you agree with what they are saying or not and move on.

I suggest not having IM conversations like that and asking them to email you their concerns where you can take the message under proper advisement and in the right setting.

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Originally posted by djdez
    Calm down Lee. You have a free site that is visited by many Webmasters. Remember, people that visit GWW are technically customers of yours. They have every right to express their concerns. Likewise, it is up to you agree with what they are saying or not and move on.
    Agreed Joe :thumbsup:

However in this instance he had never seen the site in question and he actualy only went there to grab a recip button for a site that we dont own

I just kinda thought it was weird how he instantly said thanks for the button but your layout is wrong for ads

Regards,

Lee

I like giving my opinion, but I totally agree with you Lee, some people are just plain arrogant!

cheers,
    Luke

Have an idea and make it come to life! Gary-Alan's Avatar
    Originally posted by Lee
    Agreed Joe :thumbsup:

However in this instance he had never seen the site in question and he actualy only went there to grab a recip button for a site that we dont own

I just kinda thought it was weird how he instantly said thanks for the button but your layout is wrong for ads

Regards,

Lee
    I don't agree. This same person emailed me with his suggestions on how I should run my company without knowing a thing about what we really do inside or outside of adult and based on assumptions.

Unsolicitated and unwelcome advice IS unwelcome.

Gary-Alan

Pixxxel
    Hmm...I'm more of a hands off approach to things I don't really agree with on other peoples sites. And, in the long run, if I see other people doing things that I wouldn't do, I think it works out better for me. And I'm not saying their method doesn't work, but if they're not doing the same thing as me that's one less competitor I have (potentially), so it's all good in the long run.

Although, sometimes I do throw my two cents in when people are doing things that are shady (such as spam, relentless dialers, spyware, etc.) and I really hate sites with a million pop ups. Cause that kind of has a negative impact on the industry, and not just that site.

But, I agree with the above that if it doesn't affect your site, or your customers, then let the other webmaster do what they want (which they're going to do anyways).

Michael