Thread: How to hire the perfect writer for your business or project.

WTF? How to hire the perfect writer for your business or project.

I recently made a horrible mistake. I am a writer for several clients and at times I find myself overwhelmed with work. During those times I use a freelance writer to help me flesh out the work. My normal freelance writer was on hiatus and without thinking I hired someone that has been bugging me for awhile for a chance.

I gave them that chance, but I didn’t follow my own rules and well I got burnt. I decided that maybe I wasn’t the only one that doesn’t follow the rules and created my own version of a checklist for hiring writing help.

If you are like me you will find it cheaper and faster to fix these mistakes yourself, but if I had followed my own rules I wouldn’t have been stuck with useless words and wasted time.

Here are the rules!:thumbsup:

1. Can they speak English?
    Just because they say that they can does not mean it is true.
    Ask for samples and references.
    2. Do they know how to use the spell and grammar check in word?
    3. Do they know what a thesaurus is for and where to get one?
    4. Did I mention writing samples? Get them, and references.
    5. Do they know what nouns and verbs are and can they point them out to you?
    6. Do they know how to compose a sentence and paragraph in cohesive order?
    7. Did I mention references and samples? Get them!
    8. Do they know your niche?
    Can they identify anime from manga, or femdom from D/s. Can they define the difference in a teen and a MiLF or a ladyboy from a femboy? How about a gay twink and daddy?

Per my un-tested writer:
    ” Being into bondage requires a special kind of fetish”
    ** if you figure that one out let me know ok**

9. I want to stress again samples, samples, and more samples. This is critical to your writing project. If your surfer is stumbling over words he isn't getting rock hard and he definitely won't think your site can process his money properly.
    10. Beware, just because someone can hold a decent instant message conversation with you doesn’t mean that they can write. It just means that they can speak to you and sell themselves. The written word is harder to create then a simple conversation regarding work.

Even after all your hard diligent work you’ll find that not all writers are created alike. Be sure to read what they wrote and make sure it reads well. A lot of people hire a writer then slap the words up before they read them.

This isn’t the be all end all complete book of rules, and I have to admit I wrote this on a rant, so feel free to add your thoughts and guidelines on hiring writers. I can always add to the list of requirements, tips, and tricks!

Keep in Mind that sales copy is critical. The average surfer decides if he likes your website and what you are offering within 30 -60 seconds of checking it out. That includes words people....
    :pinkylove:Sex is like air, you don't notice you need it until you don't have any!:pinkylove:

Excellent advice Teaser! I hit way too many pay sites and blogs where the text doesn't make sense and it definately downgrades the user experience. Not to mention I get this terrible itch to grab my red pen and start editing the copy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bec View Post
    Excellent advice Teaser! I hit way too many pay sites and blogs where the text doesn't make sense and it definately downgrades the user experience. Not to mention I get this terrible itch to grab my red pen and start editing the copy!!!
    Whew! I thought I was the only one that ran for the ink pen!
    :pinkylove:Sex is like air, you don't notice you need it until you don't have any!:pinkylove:

How long have you been gay? Three hundred and sixty-five had come and went
    Thanks a lot for the very useful post. It comes quite handy for me as I need to find a writer pretty soon. Thanks again!

P.S.
    When you find a good writer, treat them like gold, they are far and in
    between now!

Glad I could help Attis, there are a lot of good writers lurking on these boards 'm sure

I often find that writers are good at the beginning, then just get repetitive after a few weeks. Any tips on how to keep them fresh? or is this something that is typical and I should just be moving on to the next writer?
    Luke H.
    Marketing Director
    Zbuckz.com, Jbuckz.com, Dickbank.com, Glamourbuckz.com

Quote Originally Posted by HunkMoneyLuke View Post
    I often find that writers are good at the beginning, then just get repetitive after a few weeks. Any tips on how to keep them fresh? or is this something that is typical and I should just be moving on to the next writer?
    Hi Luke;

I guess it

a. depends on the writer that you are using.
    b. the content that you are giving him/her

Example:
    I did a bunch of blogs for a drunk gay website. I was given say 10 clips of the same action, same guys same everything and told to make it fresh. It was also used on the tour, so it had to be high impact and engaging for the surfers. That was very very hard. It got a bit repetitive due to it being the same couple, same action, same everything. It gets hard to write something different when its the same everything over and over again.

In that case give your writer extra time to come up with different scenarios. Remind them that although its the same content fresh ideas are useful, and you'll give them extra time to complete the tasks because you realize how redundant something might be.

If you find they are using the same words over and over again, ask / tell them nicely that you are tired or reading the word twink, or cute etc... ask them to find different variations.

I personally like the words meat pole and tight ass. I have to remind myself constantly that there are other words and to use them.

Most writers do not mind criticism and they want to make you happy. Its our job So pointing out things like that shouldn't be a problem. If they can't conform or do not want to conform after that then its time to begin the search again for a new writer. I work very closely with my clients they are :king: in my book. I strive to make sure they get what they are seeking in a writer, and most of the writers that I know do the same.

If they can read and write in English and it sounds hot, I'd definitely spend time discussing this with them. I am not a patient person (gasp) so I didn't take the time to point out more than 6 mistakes and I gave up. I spent all day fixing what should have been a simple rework before sending to my client.

Hope that helps If you want to discuss it more at length hit me up on icq

some good points here. i was surprised a couple times when asking for samples to have reviews or blogs that i wrote offered as samples *LOL*

a problem i ran into with reviewers is that their first few are accurate, and then the accuracy drops to a point where there's lots of drastically wrong information in each review.

finding good writers isn't easy!

I agree and training new ones is hard too

man, it is! and the best one i've trained in over 2 years - or maybe ever - ended up disappearing after a bout with a health issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaser View Post
    I agree and training new ones is hard too

Am I Bitter?...Absolutely
    Had similar happen to me as well.