this is a good set of tips that i had sent to me, hopefully we can all benefit from them:

Use keywords in your posts

Don't just use keywords in your blog titles, descriptions, etc. Make sure you also use thm in your blog posts themselves.

Display your RSS link

Letting people subscribe to your RSS feed is by far the easiest way to get return visitors. Hiding your RSS feed link may clean up the look of your blog, but that causes you to miss out on loyalty and returning visitors.

Respond to your comments

Blogs are meant to be a platform to allow the open exchange of opinions. If you allow comments in your blog, make sure you follow up on people's comments with a quick reply. This simple step makes your readers feel a part of your community, and builds loyalty and bookmarkers.

Keep your content relevant

A very obvious but often overlooked tip is to keep your content and posts relevant to the theme of your blog. Posting twinks in a hairy bear blog may be appealing to you, but will probably turn off your readers. Do this too many times and you will lose return visitors and search engine positioning.

Maintain an email list

This is one I never thought of before. Offering an opt-in service to mail your members will instantly give you the ability to "push" updates and information to your subscribers. This helps bring visitors back to your blog and gives you an opportunity to get special promos to your subscribers as a way of saying thanks (plus making a few extra sales too).