Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Movie Songs. (?)

Jasun

Best Movie Songs. (?)

OK.. so the AFI came out with their list of the best songs from movies, and granted I'm a complete Metal snob, but I've gotta question some of their choices... Isn't "Moon River" one of those songs that's so bad it's only done in comedy skits where they need a really bad, irritating song? It's like "Feelings" or "You Light Up My Life".

http://edition.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/....ap/index.html

So... here's my list of favorite movie songs.

1. Army of Me from Tank Girl (Bjork)
    2. Heart's Filthy Lesson from 7 (David Bowie)
    3. Perfect Drug from Lost Highway (Nine Inch Nails)
    4. Both Sides Now from Love, Actually (a new version recorded by Joni Mitchell... Never saw the movie, but I love that recording)
    5. Bloodline from Dracula 2000 (Slayer)
    6. Vampire from Draclua (Annie Lennox)

so see... Even I have a soft side. Now let us never speak of it again. Whata the rest of you think?

Sana Chan
    There is only one!

As we take that....step to the right....but its the pelvic thrust!!

That really drives you insaaAAAaaanne.

LETS DO THE TIME WARP AGAIN!!!!!

*dances about*

Jasun
    OK... I'm lame... I can't believe I forgot Rocky.

Don's gonna spank me again.

(Now that I think of it, Dentist from Little Sho of Horrors is pretty fun too)

DigitalJay
    I can't think of any to add to that list, but you definately have excellent taste! Army of Me is definately one of my favorites. But I like Eye by The Smashing Pumpkins or I Put a Spell On You by Marilyn Manson off of Lost Highway. How about Helter Skelter by The Beatles, does it count as one? I love it when John yells "I've got blisters on my fingers!" at the end.

Don't kill me for this but another favorite; Lords of Acid: Am I Sexy? from Austin Powers hehe.

Jason
    I really like the GNR version of the old Stones "Sympathy for the Devil" they run with the credits in "Interview With The Vampire"

"Please allow me to introduse myself..."

...actually, I really like the whold score for that film. I also totally dig almost anything Danny Elfman has ever composed.

Wow though, I'm really gonna have to think about this for a while. There are just too many genres of both movies and music that I like to narrow it down like that.

Jasun
    Originally posted by DigitalJay
    How about Helter Skelter by The Beatles, does it count as one?
    What movie is that from?

Oh.. and I also thought of "Party Town" from Flatliners by Dave Stewart.

Pixxxel
    Hmm...

She's Like The Wind by Patrick Swayze - Dirty Dancing? :p J/K

But, I do really like Remember Me This Way - Jordan Hill from Casper...such a sweet song :p (It's the song that plays at the end while they're dancing).

Michael

Am i gay? Am i straight? And then i realized ... I'm just slutty. shelmal's Avatar
    Ok I have to say I completly agree with the AFI list. "Somewhere over the Rainbow" is the best movie song ever written. EVER. I think my song tastes are 360 from you guys although I agree with the Joni Mitchell choice. You have to remember this is a list of classics. People still know and sing these songs that are sometimes 70 years old. I doubt many people will still be singing some of your choices in 30 years.
    By the way I assume you have never seen "Breakfast at Tiffanys" and seen how well that song is used in the movie or you wouldn't make fun of it. Personally I think its a beautiful song that again is still song 40 years after the movie was made.

Jasun
    Hey, I LOVE Breakfast at Tiffany's.

But I still think that song is pretty cheese.

I think people will still be doing the time warp 30 years from now. Hey, they're still doing it 30 years later...and I can see the Annie Lennox song being sung for years and years... I still think she should have gotten the Oscar for that... it was cool she finally got one for Lord of the Rings.

But yeah, I've always loved "Somewhere Over the Rainbow". Hey... why didn't the Wicked Witch of the West get a song in that movie?

Jason
    Originally posted by Jasun
    Hey, I LOVE Breakfast at Tiffany's.

But I still think that song is pretty cheese.

I think people will still be doing the time warp 30 years from now. Hey, they're still doing it 30 years later...and I can see the Annie Lennox song being sung for years and years... I still think she should have gotten the Oscar for that... it was cool she finally got one for Lord of the Rings.

But yeah, I've always loved "Somewhere Over the Rainbow". Hey... why didn't the Wicked Witch of the West get a song in that movie?
    she did...it just didn't have any lyrics....and incidentally, that's one of the most recognizable tunes i know. funny how well that association crap works when you're a kid eh?

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Im with Jason on the Rolling Stones songs

Sympathy For The Devil as well as Time Is On My Side are two of my favorite songs of theirs

Although Interview perhaps wouldnt have been the movie i would have chosen for that particular song of theirs.

But i do have to say in Fallen the film makers used Time Is On My Side in a way which i dont think any other film will be able to, that song just seemed to fit the movie overall

Regards,

Lee

Am i gay? Am i straight? And then i realized ... I'm just slutty. shelmal's Avatar
    Ok so youve seen "Breakfast at Tiffany's" and you still think that song is cheesy. Sigh... Jasun Jasun Jasun. Not much I can say then I guess. Personally I still love that song. I agree that Annie Lenox songs wil become classic over the years but to be honest I dont even know that song you posted. And of course Johni Mitchell is timeless. I guess I'm old fashioned..or just old but I still say the songs that made the top ten beat anything written in the last few years.
    Also the rolling stones songs werent written for the films they were just used in a movie. I think to make the list a song had to be written for a movie all though I may be wrong about that.

Jasun
    The song didn't have to be written for the movie, but it had to be integral to the film.. so most of my choices wouldn't really count. Most of them just play over the end credits or were just included on the Soundtrack.

But "Riders on the Storm" could be used because of it's inclusion in Appocalypse Now, and I guess "I Say a Little Prayer" could be used because it's the centerpiece of the scene in My Best Friend's Wedding.

And I guess "Can't Take My Eyes Off of You" could be included, because Mel Gibson keeps singing it all the way through Conspiracy Theory.

oh oh oh .. "Dueling Banjos" from Deliverance.

just hearing that makes me wanna squeal like a pig.

BDBionic
    shoot me but I kinda dig the Queen Flash Gordon song

Jasun
    OH YEAH!!

Man, that's one of the worst Queen songs ever.. but I totally loved it, 'cause I loved the movie so much.

I thought that the guy who played Flash was H-O-T.

and for that matter, I guess Bohemian Rhapsody could be used, 'cause what would Wayne's World have been without it?