Thread: Upon Your Death Who Owns Your Virtual Property?

Upon Your Death Who Owns Your Virtual Property?

News Article: Virtuality & Mortality: Who Owns The Online Content We Create After We Die?

The Oklahoma state legislature in a completely sensible (and therefore somewhat baffling move for a government agency) move, has created a new law regarding virtual property and what happens to it after you die.

The law went into effect on November 1, and is the first law of its kind in the United States. I like to look at is as 'The first domino has fallen', as other states are sure to follow suit. Though those of us who live our lives online in any major capacity are likely wondering what took so long for such legislation to exist, the fact that it's coming into being now is a testament to how much of our lives is stored as data online, as well as the boom in virtual goods, and a recognition of their potential value.

It would seem that sharing and experiencing one's life in a digital fashion (whether that be by using an avatar in a virtual world, or simply by sharing their lives in another online capacity- facebook, twitter, livejournal, plurk, etc.) is now mainstream enough to warrant specific legislation designed to protect those digital assets in the event of their creator's death.

---------

There's a thread on Gaydemon.biz that was talking/asking about what plans have you made regarding your online business in the event of your death. It's interesting (and good) to see that our virtual property is recognized as having value and deserving of protection. Given the fortunes made online over the past 10 years, I'm surprised that this hasn't been addressed before now.

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    Death is certainly not something anyone looks forward to. However, should consider it and keep it in the back of their head. Do you want the state to take your hard work or someone who would deserve or monetize it? I certainly would not want the state to get it.

I don't know all of the legal laws on corporations and what not. We are an S-Corp. I'm guessing if the President deceases the company and it's assets are then gifted to the Vice President whom then becomes the President. So on and so forth.

Unfortunately, it's my parents for now LOL. God, my christian mother. I can see it now. But we are getting our wills re-done soon.