Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mac Users - What are your favorite 'Desktop Widgets' ?

Homosexuals cannot biologically reproduce children; therefore, they must recruit our children.

Mac Users - What are your favorite 'Desktop Widgets' ?

About 9 months ago I made the switch to a MacBook Pro, and now I'll never look back! I can't say how much I've grown to love Mac over PC in the last year. It took me awhile to become a 'believer,' but once you get over the learning curve it's amazing how much faster and better the Mac really is!!

One of my favorite things about the Mac are the 'desktop widgets.' For those of you that haven't set these up, press 'F4' on your keyboard and you can select a few that come with the machine. If you go to the apple website or search online you can select hundreds of different widgets that can be at your disposal anytime by pressing 'F4.' Widgets gives you lightening speed access to all kinds of applications that will make your life easier.

My favorite widgets now are:

Translation widget (Thai to English, Japanese to English)
    Itunes Timer Widget (good when you want to listen to music before bed!)
    Stickies Widget (for taking notes)
    Fetch FTP Widget (makes uploading / downloading quick)
    And of course the ICal widget for setting appointments and tasks for the day!

Do any other Mac users use these? Do you have any favorites?
    18 exclusive gay sites - 20+ RSS Feeds - Hundreds of FLVs and Embedded Videos
    Top Converting Site StraightRentBoys.com converting 1/150
    www.zBUCKz.com - Let's make you money.

Life is a dick and when itīs get hard---just fuck it... DEVELISH's Avatar
    I have

ShowOff
    iStat Pro
    5 instances of Weather Widget

:-D

Homosexuals cannot biologically reproduce children; therefore, they must recruit our children.
    Thanks, I just downloaded iStatpro.

There is also a great currency converter widget I use, you can download it from here:
    http://www.palple.net/widgets/curren...ter/index.html

Keep them coming!!

having fun
    yah these are great, i am using them all the time too. i use the currency convertor, metric/imperial converter, translation, transmit widget for ftp, webclips and a bunch of others too. Just so easy and quick to do a lot of simply things.

any one using a simply little project status tracker widget? I use stickies for reminders and lists but would like something more project oriented.

why do you guys use the currency converter and metric/imperial converter that much?

having fun
    we bill in a variety of currencies so it helps to keep up on where things are moving, values of sales and goods/service purchased. when I am buying online or doing deals wtih content people throughout latin america. while they charge in USD I like to know what they are actually making locally too. Plus for personal reasons too, travel, buying stuff for friends, watching investments in a variety of countries, etc

Metric/Imperial - well it is everything, from recipes to construction, it always comes up. I was raised in metric and have no idea what 75 Fahrenheit is or is a recipe calls for 2 ounces of chocolate.

any one using a simply little project status tracker widget? I use stickies for reminders and lists but would like something more project oriented.
    If you use Basecamp for Project Management, you can set it so your ICalendar automatically updates with all of your projects, deadlines, milestones and project updates via RSS. Of course I keep ICalendar as a widget, so everytime I check it I can keep up with all of my projects in real time. If you use Iphone you can also sync the Icalendar with your Iphone so you can always keep track of your projects, appointments etc. across all of your Apple platforms.

language is my whore, my mistress, my check-out girl. conran's Avatar
    One day I will upgrade to a Mac, I swear one day it will happen! :rainbow::rainbow:
    Tips for adult blogging: Adult Affiliate Blog
    Add Another Income Stream: Sell Adult Toys
    Fleshjack, Butt Plugs and more great Mens Sex Toys from a UK Men Only Shop
    Primary business: Gay Content Writer

Quote Originally Posted by conran View Post
    One day I will upgrade to a Mac, I swear one day it will happen! :rainbow::rainbow:
    You will never look back!

Quote Originally Posted by zBUCKzDanny View Post
    You will never look back!
    Everyone keeps telling me that, and being a bit of a Photoshop dabbler I really should invest.

You know, I think once I've finished all my client content today I'll start shopping! A late Christmas present for myself, yay!

its rumoured that the new macbook pro laptops will be released around April this year, if you are looking for a laptop it may be wise to hold off till then as the new model will have all the latest tech and hopefully a sleek new look too. That's my plan
    Luke H.
    Marketing Director
    Zbuckz.com, Jbuckz.com, Dickbank.com, Glamourbuckz.com

I'm never on the cutting edge anyway. When I shop for tech I tend to go for the older (cheaper) models. As long as it does what I want I don't mind if it's heavier or chunkier.
    I draw the line at it being mouse powered or having wooden cogs though.

Quote Originally Posted by conran View Post
    I'm never on the cutting edge anyway. When I shop for tech I tend to go for the older (cheaper) models. As long as it does what I want I don't mind if it's heavier or chunkier.
    I draw the line at it being mouse powered or having wooden cogs though.
    Apple does discontinue the sale of the old models when they introduce the new ones... so there are no old models to buy when the new ones are in the stores.
    In fact stock get low before new models are introduces as Apple slows down and halts production in favor for the new models.
    This is valid for each of the 13 Apple model lines.

I also suggest you to wait for the new collection this year ;-)

If homosexuality is a disease, let's all call in queer to work. jeremyroddick's Avatar
    I never got into the Widget thingy. I think I even removed the option in the Terminal and speeded up a bit everything. I got the iPad on the side for the "widgets"
    Jeremy Roddick - www.bonobocash.com - ICQ: 375661750 - 1-877-824-7561 ext. 707
    Videoboys.com | Squirtz.com | JeremyRoddick.com

Apple does discontinue the sale of the old models when they introduce the new ones... so there are no old models to buy when the new ones are in the stores.
    Unless you happen to live in Japan. They have quite a few 'Used Apple' stores here where you can save 20 - 30% on old Apple goods. Surprised no one has opened stores like this in the US. I picked up a used Ipod touch the other day for about $100 US that works great.