Thread: What Do You Think The Life Of A Banner Is?

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

What Do You Think The Life Of A Banner Is?

Until the surfer has seen it so many times it becomes more of a burden than a benefit?

I swear i keep seeing the same old banners on different sites over and over and over again and well, it just makes me cringe in all honesty.

You would think that sponsors would add new banners every couple of months for their sites but it seems like they only concentrate on the 'new' sites when making new creatives.

Anyone else feel the same way?

Regards,

Lee

Sheepish
    I agree totally. I can only imagine that a lot of sponsors think that the people who are likely to make them the most money do their own creatives. I've constantly been disgusted by the quality of FPA's that just don't convert...

Oh well - back to the drawign board, I s'pose

Sheepo

AusCoding Allan
    I agree completely, what I have come to realise is that if the sponsor aint providing the banners and keeping them updated then it's just going to get old real quick. I'll design my own if i have to just to keep them up to date!

Cheers,

Allan

=^..^=
    they need to be updated pretty regularly if it's a highly pushed program

i did notice a couple of programs recently offering to pay their affilated for every banner they make and submit - for new sites which dont have many banners and for their old sites to keep the banners fresh

i think it's a great idea!

I also agree that seeing the same old banners over and over just has your surfer turning a "blind eye" to them after awhile. That's why I like the sponsor sites that give me the option of either downloading the banners they have, or using a piece of java script that brings in new banners automatically ... that's a sweet piece of convenience for the webmaster as well as the sponosor knowing that his site is throwing out a "fresh face" every so often... and the sponsor is able to let surfers know about new goodies.

... is this where I mention I'm running a banner sale at my design site this month?!??!
    Last edited by Bec; 06-26-2004 at 07:08 AM.

Am i gay? Am i straight? And then i realized ... I'm just slutty. Northstar's Avatar
    I had a affiliate program I did very well with for years but they never changed there banners and my sales ratio kept dropping. I contacted them to see if they would make some fresh banners but they didn't see a need for it. I finally just used there preview content to make my own banners and my ratio went up drastically.

Dzinerbear
    Hey guys,

I never really thought about it until now, but then I realized that as I'm working on my sites, I get tired of the same old banners. So, it stands to reason that the surfers do as well.

I made some of my own banners for Hot Desert Knights and another sponsor. I even made some of my own banners for MANcheck because the ones they had weren't specific enough for what I wanted to say.

I think that after a banner has been out for about nine months, a sponsor should look at rolling out some new ones. Keep the old ones, but add to the stable. Once a banner's been out for a year, it should probably be retired.

Think about it, our sites change so much over the course of a year. Do you want last year's hottie (now a has-been) still promoting your product. Experienced surfers see last year's hottie on your banner and they think: "Oh him, I've seen him everywhere."

Cheers
    Dzinerbear

firehorse
    I agree, it's important to keep it fresh and maximise the potential while keeping the surfer responsive. Banners can become stale after a couple of months.

Sheepish
    I think it's funny when the sponsor has information on banners which is just plain wrong/out of date. A couple of times I've seen banners available with a "$2.95 trial" when it's been stopped ages before.

Sheepo

Words paint the real picture gaystoryman's Avatar
    Interesting point of view, but I think it is also a double edged sword. I mean many webmasters hard code the banners into their pages and run tons of free sites or whatever for promotions... How many of them will go back to change the banners to update them?

I like the idea of where the sponsor lets you add code that automatically refreshes the banners with new ones but that is also an added cost to them, as the banners are served from their server, raising bandwidth..

Tough balancing act for both. I mean there is also the headache of having your banner from them and then finding their site is down or slow in responding, making your pages load poorly turning off the surfer.

Just my thought.
    Webmasters: Add Custom Stories To Your Sites Custom Gay Stories

My Blogs Gay Talk, Free Gay Fiction, Erotic Fiction Online

Dzinerbear
    Originally posted by gaystoryman
    I like the idea of where the sponsor lets you add code that automatically refreshes the banners with new ones but that is also an added cost to them, as the banners are served from their server, raising bandwidth..
    Although this keeps things fresh, the problem with this is that the sponsor's designer doesn't think about the impact the new banners will have on a webmaster's site. So, you'll go to you site one day and find it all out of whack because the sponsor changed the 125x125 banner to a 175x200.

Dzinerbear

usually banners do best for me for one week. bookmarkers seem to drop by at least every 7 days.

that being said, a while back we had a banner that clicked like mad - and this was for a pay per click program, so that was good. day after day, week after week, it sent high clicks. they suggested a fresh banner would do better, and we tried several before discovering that the first banner outclicked them all.

it kept working for a couple years!

so ya never know...