Thread: Happy Pride

Dzinerbear

Happy Pride

Hey all,

Well, I've been holding off as long as I can, but with the party warming up right outside my den window, it's impossible to avoid – Pride is upon us.

Looking out my window, the street is filling up, the music is blasting, and they're hanging out of the bars on Church Street.

I can see Woody's from here and there's already a line. Woody's is the home of Queer as Folk. Whenever you see the QAF's coming out of the bar and down the stairs, that's Woody's. And there's already a huge line up to get in.

Jeannie Tracy is wailing her Cha Cha song in the beer garden underneath me.

There are four giant inflated beer cans on buildings in the 'hood that I can see. So it's getting pretty wild out there. I need to make this short because I've got to jump in the shower and wash my love button.

I wanted to wish everyone a Happy Pride regardless of where you live.

Heather Small sang a song called "Proud" and in it she sings a line something like: "What have you done today to make you feel proud." This song always chokes me up. It reminds me of my hopes and dreams, my mistakes and fumbles.

So, what have you done in the last year that makes you feel proud to be gay? (And I use the word "gay" to include everyone regardless of your gender, your perceived gender, or whom you fuck.)

Too often this weekend is just about a big party. I'd like to get to know my fellow webmasters a little better, so please step up and tell us all, what did you do this year that makes you proud you're gay?

Happy Pride
    Cheers
    Dzinerbear (and Ted)

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Built a great community of friends on GWW

Regards,

Lee

Have an idea and make it come to life! Gary-Alan's Avatar
    Happy Pride, Michael! Hope you and Ted have a GREAT time!

Gary-Alan

Jasun
    What have I done that makes me proud?

Nothing specifically... and this is gonna sound stupid, but the first thing that came to mind when I read this was something that happened to me yesterday.

I was riding my bike down Church Street, early Friday morning, and the place was crawling with men. I noticed this rather hot man cruising me on the side of the street, and I gave him a bit of a wave. I had to stop at a stop light, and he turned and crossed the street right in front of me.

So just as he passed, I gave my engine a nice big rev. He turned and gave me a big smile, and I rode away.

Now, I know it sounds totally ridiculous to be proud of burning a little extra gas and violating a municipal noise by-law, but what I'm really proud of is that a few years back, I never would have done anything so blantantly gay in public. But now, I'm living as an out gay man... all my friends know I'm gay, my family.. my coworkers), my neighbours and the guy at the butcher shop... the guys at the Harley Dealership, the girls at the Starbucks I pass by every morning, my vet...er..my dog's vet, and yes, the men I meet out on the street.

I'm finally able to just live my life the way I want... as me. Being gay isn't something that I go do when I'm drunk and all my friends have left the bar with the girls they met. Being gay is what I am now. So I guess that's what I'm most proud of.

Pixxxel
    Well said Jasun

Me, I'm just proud to be me, and doing what I'm doing. Proud that I wake up every day, do my thing, and don't let stupid shit slow me down

Michael

Dzinerbear
    Jasun,

Excellent post! As I was thinking about what I was going to say in reply to my own question my thoughts went similarly.

As a year, 2003 sucked the biggest any year could have. Ted and I both lost our jobs, we put down our 16-year-old cat, we let go of a couple of friends who preferred to nurture their relationship with crack and crystal. Those were the big things, but the year was littered with all kinds of nasty little things, too.

We got through that year together – as a couple, man and man, standing against the world.

The year rolled over into a new one and three days into it, the sky opened up, sun shoned down on us, and it hasn't stopped.

I got freelance work. Ted got a new job. Universal Bear took off. Our kittens turned one. I got my job with MANcheck, which allowed Ted to quit a job that he hates doing. We've got money in the bank and our bills are paid.

Ted's been spending the last couple of weeks of his time off cleaning and organizing our home. There are major changes every day. And just this week, we decided push forward together with our adult sites and we'll be launching a new project together soon. (So you'll all be meeting my man in the next few weeks.)

This is what I am most proud. While my government fights about whether it will extend me and my partner the recognition that our relationship deserves, we are here, solid.

While much of straight society thinks that we're nothing more than what we see on Will & Grace, Queer as Folk, or Queer Eye, we're standing here saying we're way more than that.

Dare to embrace us.

Happy Pride.
    Michael and Ted

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    So Michael..

Does that mean we may even be seeing both of you guys in Florida?

Great storys from everyone too

Regards,

Lee

Dzinerbear
    I don't think we'll be making Florida this year. Financially it's not within our reach. But we should probably try hard and schedule it for next year.

No other pride stories. Come on people there have to be more of you with something to say, especially now that we're nearly within a hundred of the 25,000th post.

Cheers
    Michael