Thread: PC Windows XP Problems

If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking. Wowmediacash's Avatar

I Wonder? PC Windows XP Problems

Hey All Anyone out there who knows there stuff and might be able to shed some light for a friend to the below problem ? For your info Optusnet is an isp.

I wonder if you be so good as to pass this email onto your computer guru's to see if they can help me with a problem (see below) which is driving me nuts! I have had numerous long and meaningful discussions with Tim over this issue and he has come up with what may be a significant difference between his machine and mine. The screen grab screen shot Screen Shot
    from my machine has a highlighted item which is not on Tim's machine or my old one. The question is - if I uninstall this item will it solve my problem?

I have already contacted Optusnet and their reply was not particularly helpful. My email to them reads in part as follows......

"The problem:-

I am able to log on via my Optusnet dial-up facility without problem, surf the net for a short period of time with no problem but then for some inexplicable reason my net surfing capabilities are 'turned off'. I am still able to send and receive emails without problem (unless they contain web links) but am unable to access any website addresses. If I reboot my machine sometimes I have no problem at all and then on another occasion the same scenario will occur. Unfortunately, lately it seems to be getting more regular.

Have tried:-

New browser - I normally would use MS explorer but have tried Opera and Netscape both with the same result.
    New Modem - still no improvement.
    Turned off Norton firewall - no improvement
    Restored my machine to an earlier time when the problem was not evident - the problem still exists.

Which really only leaves me with a couple of options
    1. There is some sort of problem at your end?
    2. I have a problem with my 'phone line?
    or ????? Any ideas????"

Optus suggested that my copy of IE was corrupt but if that were true then Opera should work ok but it didn't. They further suggested that I may have a modem problem but it worked ok earlier and it worked ok on my old machine so I don't see how that could be problem either.

I hope that explains the problem sufficiently and I hope you can shed some light on it for me. Many thanks in advance.

AusCoding Allan
    My solution - kill optusnet dialup and go out and hook up with some of the great broadband adsl or cable plans that are going around and you probably won't have any more problems, not technical but who knows, might just fix the problem.

Cheers,

Allan

If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking. Wowmediacash's Avatar
    He lives outback in SA and broadband is not available.

AusCoding Allan
    Hi Peter,

Try the adsl demand register from Telstra, if enough people want it, it gets it happening, otherwise there is always the one-way satellite/phone hook-up it works quite well for my parents. I did have a friend of mine mention that they had the same problem with optusnet, I asked them after I saw the post, they said that they ended up ditching optus dial-up because they couldn't sort out the problem for them either.

Sorry I can't be of any more help.

Cheers,

Allan

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    I honestly wish i could help but my computer knowledge lies at a free phone number to tech support

Regards,

Lee

BDBionic
    The QoS Packet Scheduler is a bandwidth monitoring device. It'd only be on your computer because it's an XP only feature and wouldn't be on your old one if you had a different version of Windows and not on your friend's if he has a different version of Windows.

Either way, the packet scheduler only really affects LAN connections and shouldn't have an effect on internet connection. Which is to say it'd play a part in internal network bandwidth speeds and connections but in traffic coming to and from an ISP - your actual internet connection - it shouldn't do anything.

So I don't think that'd have anything to do with it. You can disable it anyways, if you'd like, and it shouldn't necessarily have any negative effects either. It's something that's sort of... there... just... there. .

Bell
    go here:
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/
    download and run: Ad-aware 6.0

go here:
    http://www.download.com/3000-8022-10...ml?tag=lst-0-2
    download and run: Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.3

hope this helps...

~Bell

Peter, the QOS is a "Quality of Service" packet scheduler, as Brian mentioned it was implemented in later versions of Windows. Its purpose is mainly for LANs and private WANs whereby an admin wants to give a priority to a certain set of machines for purposes such as video presentations.

Yes, this could have something to do with the optus problems, since this machine would register itself as a low priority, particularly if optus is using a windows method of authentication (I don't know if they do or not!). I would remove that setting, just untick the box. I would also look further into the tcp/ip settings, make sure they are set properly.

Is this guy on dial-up or dsl? If yes, there may be an issue with the telstra line itself. As you know, telstra splits the hell out of its lines, I was having a similar problem where my connection and my phone line would go dead after a couple of hours. It turns out that the mutex that I was on was being overloaded and the stupid response was to cut off all communications and reset after things were calmed down. It finally got fixed when I got a visit from a telstra dude that knew what he was doing, he just swapped me to a less busy mutex device. BTW, this took about 6 months of being cut off before they finally admitted that it was their fault for overloading the exchange.

Cheers,
    Luke

Thanks to all who have posted replies all of which ill pass on etc thanks again Peter