Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Robbed? here is some ways to help protect yourself

They have computers, and they may have other weapons of mass destruction x0pa's Avatar

Robbed? here is some ways to help protect yourself

Hey guys, so I'm writing today about a recent break in that occurred at my house on valentines day, i woke up at 1130 am to find an asshole running from my place with my laptop among other things this totally sucked, and i wanted to let everyone know about some great software that you should consider getting for your computers/laptops something i wish i had.

Now i was able to trace the laptop when it went online two times however the laptop was going online at public wifi access points and the police were unable to track it or the thief down. i was able to do this by using a fantastic piece of software i cannot live without called Log Me In at logmein.com its free and lets you remote control your computers even on iPhone or iPad this works on both mac and windows.

in my case when the computer goes online logmein logs the ip address and thats how i was able to obtain it and hand it over to police for them to get warrants.

Some awesome software that will really help you nail the thief Orbicule Undercover now this is a piece of software i really wish i had, it would allow me to take pics of the thief while on my laptop using the built in camera as well as screen shots so if they happen to be on Facebook you could get some really good info

a list of some programs can be found here at maclife

lucky for me i did not have any data like photos, however the biggest worry for me was the fact i was using xmarks to sync my bookmarks and passwords across all computers i use to make my life easier in this case it was a nightmare as a fellow adult webmaster you can just imagine how many passwords i have

Some great news on the mac front is that in the new edition for Mac OS X Lion - Find my mac will be available and let you do some of the features that other programs let you do. so im looking forward to that extra protection as well.

On a high note, house insurance covers me so i get to go out and grab me a brand new MacBook Pro and they just recently refreshed the line up so i couldn’t be happier

Cheers
    Dade Williams

I'm not gay; I'm British! daedal's Avatar
    Glad you was covered, sad you was robbed.

I'm going to have a look at some of the tools you have said, they sound interesting and a good idea

Its terrible news being robbed, but I am glad your insurance is getting you a new laptop

That is pretty neat software, its really becoming a necessity to have theft-tracking on laptops these days. I need to get off my butt and get one of these installed too. Which do you think is the best solution for PC based laptops?
    Luke H.
    Marketing Director
    Zbuckz.com, Jbuckz.com, Dickbank.com, Glamourbuckz.com

Am I Bitter?...Absolutely
    Im looking at this one https://secure.logmein.com/US/products/free/ seems like it might be able to also access the camera on the computer.

My house was bruglarized a little over a year ago and they took my laptop and some documents and thats it. Left a 3k gold bracelet on the floor. Camera on the desk and video camera on the desk as well. Never touched them.

There are also some satalite tracking devices that you can get now days and I am going to look into those as well.

For now when I leave the house unattended I put my Laptop in the safe.

They have computers, and they may have other weapons of mass destruction x0pa's Avatar
    ya they left a camera bag with over 1k of gear prob cuz i startled him when i woke up thank god my iphone wasnt out there
    Dade Williams

Quote Originally Posted by x0pa View Post
    ya they left a camera bag with over 1k of gear prob cuz i startled him when i woke up thank god my iphone wasnt out there
    Screw the gear thank god he did not try and hurt you.

I Like most can replace everything in the house really quick. But being layed up in a hospital for a few days would be devastating in many ways.

One more reason I love my dog. I have 2 acutally. ones a mutt but I love her to death. the other is a puppy ( 1.5 years ) and will rip the arm off anyone. In fact I just got finished with his training.

20 min every day of bite training. Got 4 more weeks to go.

he is a belgian malinois

ya, thats why i didnt bother doing anything i saw and stood there mainly shock but im not getting stabbed for that shit
    Dade Williams

Smart move.. Really sucks either way that it happened. Had it happen to me not that long ago. we were not home but they got my laptop, passports and some jewelry. Its more of a pain in the ass than anything. Now I have an alarm and the dog so no real worry about it.

passports why??
    Dade Williams

Thats the funny thing. they are useless but people steal them and sell them to people that dont know any better.

Quote Originally Posted by HunkMoneyLuke View Post
    Its terrible news being robbed, but I am glad your insurance is getting you a new laptop

That is pretty neat software, its really becoming a necessity to have theft-tracking on laptops these days. I need to get off my butt and get one of these installed too. Which do you think is the best solution for PC based laptops?
    check out this one

http://www.gadgettrak.com/

i think i might go with them they seem to be pretty current and up to date
    Dade Williams

oh that one does look good, it covers quite a few electronic things too!
    Luke H.
    Marketing Director
    Zbuckz.com, Jbuckz.com, Dickbank.com, Glamourbuckz.com

Gay Marriage - It's our Pearl Harbor. twinkerbell's Avatar
    and this is a very interesting post...
    I installed an alarm few months back after our next door neighbor got burglarized. and good thing our door is squeaking when you open it...

i'll try out those tracking devices...

thanks and keep em cumming :humble:

New Site at TwinkPay - www.DoctorTwink.mobi
    icq# 587-790-275 :bunny:

I've got more gay in my little pinky, than you have in your entire body
    It totally sucks to have your gear stolen, but for me even worse is all the data on the laptop, passwords, bank data, what not. It would be a disaster. I have been using TrueCrypt for years so even if it gets stolen, at least nobody can use access any of my stuff. :-)
    Bert

TwinkPay

I am new here
    very sad that you got robbed, thank you for showing us those sites too.