Thread: Opinions, critique welcomed!

Rainbo1956

Opinions, critique welcomed!

My sister and I started a mainstream gay site…trying to get it all sorted out.
    Any and all opinions, suggestions and critique are very welcomed.

It’s still in the infant stage (I haven’t much time to work on it, so it’s been slow going)

But, we would greatly appreciate any suggestions anyone has, so we can make it better!

Here’s the site = USATOGAY.com

Rainbo1956
    Seriously, I wont dry if it's a bad review...

Tala
    Wow! Nice stuff! Congratulations; well done! :groovy:

Rainbo1956
    Originally posted by Tala
    Wow! Nice stuff! Congratulations; well done! :groovy:
    Awww, thanx! You're kind...You're not just saying that are ya?

I always look forward to peeps giving feedback....good and bad.

There's always so much to learn, in this biz, in design, whatever you do!

Jason
    I have to agree with Tala...rockin job Rainbo.

The only things I didn't like were:
    1. Personally, I didn't like a picture of a guy who looks like a steroid freak being used as the picture for "health"

2. In the Shopping category...when you click on the link that says "Men's Clothing" it takes you to the shopping front page...that should automatically direct to the "Men's Clothing" page instead.

my $0.02

Am I Bitter?...Absolutely nicedreams's Avatar
    I don't think it's completely loading on my computer. All I see is a online resources banner at the top.

Jim

Gay Amateur Paysites / Solo Twink Paysite
    Nice Dreams Cash
    http://www.nicedreamscash.com

Rainbo1956
    Originally posted by 123Jason
    I have to agree with Tala...rockin job Rainbo.

The only things I didn't like were:
    1. Personally, I didn't like a picture of a guy who looks like a steroid freak being used as the picture for "health"

2. In the Shopping category...when you click on the link that says "Men's Clothing" it takes you to the shopping front page...that should automatically direct to the "Men's Clothing" page instead.

my $0.02
    Ah...thanks, that's what I'm talking about, loving feedback...never would have thought about it, but you make a very good point...I will change the pic of the steroid dude to a guy that just looks like a regular...healthy, happy guy

Might have made sence if I were selling fitness equipment, pumps or steroids from the link...

And, changing the link for the clothing now :grin:

Rainbo1956
    Originally posted by nicedreams
    I don't think it's completely loading on my computer. All I see is a online resources banner at the top.

Jim
    Grrrr....yeah,that's due to me just adding a java script for a link exchange (though they haven't listed me, the rats!)
    I'll be removing their java script and that'll make things load better

retrograde
    Same with me, the top part of the site is all that loads. It'd be great to be able to see the rest of the site.

I'm using Windows XP and IE6.

Rainbo1956
    Humm, I had this problem with it a few weeks ago.
    Part of it then was the java applets...so I removed most of them and it help a great deal.
    Now, I'm thinking it might be the remaining java "and" the server...so, bare with me while I fix it!

CraveMen

My 2 cents

Hi Rainbo1956

You mentioned , that the current site is still in the initial stages so maybe stuff I comment on will be changing. First off Great Site Name.

1. I like the color combination, Its always good to see a site using white, very refreshing, the logo is also nice, a little on the big side. But nice. I don't think there is a need for the.Com squeezed into the logo. The remainder of header area. I like the tag, works, the placement of online resources seems forced.
    2. Overall I think the page has too much going on. My eye does not know where to go. every element is competing. I think it would be good to decide on a few features focus on them and have the other elements not as prominent, which you sort of have going right now but it is still too much in my opinion, you can rotate the features so every one gets some air time. I also think you need a better menu for better navigation. the drop menu would work as a header for shortcuts, Right now most elements link out, so it works, but if you decide to have your own features it would be good for getting around site .
    3. The menu titles with triangles, I think the triangles are too much, too many of them, I am little puzzled at the spacing within the table, why don't the menu titles touch the table borders. Is that to give the illusion of space? It works to a certain degree however, but it makes me wonder, just had to ask

Done.

Rainbo1956
    Thanks CraveMen...

Yes,we wondered about the logo...the size and .com, menu titles with triangles and a few other things you mentioned too...we're tweeking and will keep all that in mind

Now, the darn thing isn't even laoding for me....grrrr
    I'll have to go kick the server ass pertty soon....

Rainbo1956
    Got it fixed...

The one thing I hate about using java scripts from someone else's site is that if their site is having server problems, then your site wont load either...so, I removed a pretty cool feature (looking up concerts in your area :crybaby: ) But, I couldn't afford for people to not be able to access my site.

I'll be moving that feature/link to another page to stop the probs though

I am straight, but my ass is gay jIgG's Avatar
    not sure i'm into pink

and that name, U0STOGAY hope USTODAY doesn't wake up on the wrong side and send the lawyers

Rainbo1956
    Originally posted by jIgG
    not sure i'm into pink

and that name, U0STOGAY hope USTODAY doesn't wake up on the wrong side and send the lawyers
    Hehe..Well, I actually kinda look forward to the day they try some shit......nothing like a lil "free" press to boost your rankings

You see because the words USA, they can't and don't have the rights to and the word "TO" well, I think you know......and GAY...well, a rather large population to fuck with if they said I can't use that word......not to mention it isn't a "news" site either.

Over all, the logo, font, colors and all are nothing like theirs...so, they shouldn't have a problem with it

Since my logo looks nothing like theirs, I feel sorta safe...for now anyway. And, like I said, if they do see it and have a snit, well, then there'll be some news spread far and wide about it.

Remember Booble? Hehehe...well, there still up and they "did" make their site to look like google's