Thread: R.I.P. - Baby, our office dog

On the other hand.... You have different fingers

R.I.P. - Baby, our office dog

When we moved from Fort Lauderdale, FL to Palm Springs, CA memorial day weekend... We found a dumped off puppy (14-17mo. old Chihuahua / Australian Cattle Dog mix). Someone tied her to a trash can on a lookout overpoint off the side of the Interstate. She was left with no food or water. She had been out there for at least 2 days. Her condition was absolutely horrifying and heart wrenching to say the least.

The Tuesday after Memorial Day she was checked over extremely thoroughly by a vet, she was in 100% great health.

She was such a terrific dog. The first 2.5 weeks she ripped, roared, played, she had a blast here. All she wanted to do was be loved and to play. She was so wonderful.

For the past week her condition took a turn.

It started with her crying out in complete pain. To where she couldn't hold herself up, she had to use her neck and back legs to move, she was having problems going to the bathroom, etc.

Last night, she was taken to a Vet Emergency Clinic. Her Diagnosis could have been neurological related. They sent her home on some high dosage pain medications. It's the highest legal dose (of morphine basically) you could give an animal. Even with this, she was still in pain.

I stayed with her the past 24 hours. Since about 10:00 last night I've watched her condition getting worse by the minute. This morning, we took her to the vet and she was put to sleep.

We are all very heart wrenched. She was and always will be a very wonderful dog!

R.I.P. Baby

I'm glad she at least got to have a loving home for her last few weeks of life. Do you have any idea as to why she was suffering so much pain?

Drag is when a man wears everything a lesbian won't. lisa's Avatar
    I am so very sorry for your loss! As Bec said, at least she felt love before she passed and you have some good memories to keep forever! Big Hugs..xo

Sad news. I am sorry to hear that her life was so short but hopefully she enjoyed every minute of it with you.
    Luke H.
    Marketing Director
    Zbuckz.com, Jbuckz.com, Dickbank.com, Glamourbuckz.com

Thank you all.

The diagnosis is unsure. It's 1 of 2 things:
    A neurological problem which causes her to not be able to have feeling in her front paws and causing pain.
    The second, canine distemper.

Last night JJ and I stayed up with her all night. We've been up for about 36+ hours now. With about a hour nap earlier.

This is really tough. It's the toughest thing I think anyone can face. I'm sure that we have all been there.

The great thing is she suffered in a much more pleasant way by living with us rather than being left in the desert dying of starvation, dehydration, eaten by an animal, etc.

She did have a second chance here. She had a 2nd chance at love. She got that. She sure was spoiled!

Just because she's not here physically... She will be back. We're having her creamated and brought back home in a week.

Okay... It was Canine Distemper. I really don't want to go into many details about that, we're still emotional and saddened over it.

HOWEVER... Her stay with us at almost a near month has made a huge impact and has touched the lives of many across the nation...

When we first thought it was a Neurological problem and were facing many costs at probably $20,000 to save her if it were neurological...

Her last night with us, I was up with her all night. She was suffering so bad. During that time, I emailed probably about 100 organizations trying to see if we can get help on funding to cover her testing and Neurologist visits, etc.

When they emailed me, I felt I had to tell them she passed away....

With that said, a lot of those are doing stories on her. Primarily focusing on the Alertness of Canine Distemper, and how it can immediately take an animals life.

When we first rescued her and took her to the vet... The Angel Fund donated some towards her bill. Since, we've donated that back...

The Angel Fund is doing a seminar in the Mid-California Region next month. One of the topics is Canine Distemper, signs, symptoms, and how to get immediate vet care once the first symptom shows.

Baby will be spoken about there. I'm also going to explain the signs, symptoms, and how it took her life during this seminar.

So this is a terrific outcome!

I've always been openly gay. It would never occur to me to behave otherwise. maxx68's Avatar
    Jayden I am so sorry for your loss. I can totally emphasize. Two weeks ago we had to have one of our cats put down due to being in an incredible amount of pain.

We rescued him from a shitty owner and he came to us with neurological problems from being either hit in the head or some type of birth defect (the vet could not pin-point the cause). We were blessed with his presence for 6 years.

Sorry again for your loss - Jay

That's HORRIBLE!
    When we found this puppy, she was in horrifying conditions. I wish I took a picture, you would see the length's that people would go through to dump a dog off or dump an animal. I would think more of "hit in the head" because that's how people treat their animals now days.

I on the hand do not believe in hitting an animal until they're in pain. Or abuse. I do believe in a smack to the butt. Such as if mine get in trouble, I will smack them on the butt and then I point my finger in their face at them and tell them no. Some say it's abuse, I belive it's showing them obedience and taking control of the behavior.

You have my sympathy J. Death is not easy. I believe in putting an animal down if they're in pain. Animals can't talk, they can't say, "Daddy I'm hurting." I wish they could. I really do... Then we could have done something different.

But yea, I'm rambling LOL... I know what your going through J. And time will heal.

Big hugs!

Quote Originally Posted by maxx68 View Post
    Jayden I am so sorry for your loss. I can totally emphasize. Two weeks ago we had to have one of our cats put down due to being in an incredible amount of pain.

We rescued him from a shitty owner and he came to us with neurological problems from being either hit in the head or some type of birth defect (the vet could not pin-point the cause). We were blessed with his presence for 6 years.

Sorry again for your loss - Jay

She's a lesbian, that's what I'm here to talk about!
    I can't even imagine loosing one of my pets.. although I know some day we all have to.. I think you should try if you can to take comfort in the fact that as everyone has said you gave her love.. it would sadder if she died never knowing love.. I thank you for rescuing her..
    Holly Ruprecht
    Business Development

Any decent man you ever get is gonna find out you're half dyke and RUN. gmr324's Avatar
    Sorry for your loss Jayden. You did a noble thing in providing such TLC to her for the last chapter of her life. I'm disgusted with anyone who can just abandon a great dog like that.
    Someone should tie the previous owner to a trash can with no food or water.

Next Generation Password Protection
    Don't Just Block Passwords, End the Cycle of Abuse!
    http://www.PhantomFrog.com/g
    ---
    PhantomCart.com....CCBill + Phantom Shopping Cart = Your VOD Solution
    PhantomFlicks.com .Token-based VOD => Most billers

I am not gay but I have slept with some guys who are
    good work giving an animal a good death.

a lot of animals seem better to me than a lot of humans. a harsh attitude I guess, but I love our cats.

So sorry for your loss I know how painful the loss of any cherished one in a family can be!
    :pinkylove:Sex is like air, you don't notice you need it until you don't have any!:pinkylove:

Today was kind of a rough day... She's "back home now" The vet did an amazing job with the Ern (however you spell it)... They put her picture on it, put a paw print, it's cute.