Thread: What to do with BlokeToys?

language is my whore, my mistress, my check-out girl. conran's Avatar

What to do with BlokeToys?

I've been running BlokeToys.co.uk since taking over from a friend about 18 months ago, and after all that time it's just not performing. There are a few sites out there sending me traffic, but Google is sending me less than 50 a day. I don't know what I've done to piss them off, but I'm guessing it might be lack of new content.

I'm on the verge of closing it down, but I thought I'd have one more shot at it. I've revamped the design, changed a few layout aspects, kicked out some links, optimized some images for loading...

I'm going to spend a couple of weeks adding blog posts and new products daily to see if that helps.

I really don't want to let it go because it was my first project, but it's becoming a pain while it's not earning. For every £1 I make I'm spending an hour processing, updating, link-building etc.

So, I was thinking, while I can't really add links to the shop that will benefit the average blogger out there, is anyone interested in linking to BlokeToys with my favorite keywords "Fleshjack", "Mens Sex Toys" or "Gay Sex Toys" and I will add a link to your blog from two of mine? Both have good traffic.

That sounds fair doesn't it?

I'm also interested in hearing from anyone who might have some ideas for traffic - on a budget. :icon_biggrin:
    PM me if interested, or discuss below if you have any ideas or suggestions.

Cheers all!
    Tips for adult blogging: Adult Affiliate Blog
    Add Another Income Stream: Sell Adult Toys
    Fleshjack, Butt Plugs and more great Mens Sex Toys from a UK Men Only Shop
    Primary business: Gay Content Writer

Update:

Things are looking up!
    After a bit of an overhaul, traffic is growing, and so are sales.
    Looking at analytics, I'm getting traffic for more long-tail keywords than before, page load time is far lower than it was, more pages listed in cache too.
    So here's what I've been working on to change things, just in case anyone else can gleam any tips from it:

Optimizing images to required size rather than resizing in WYSIWYG.
    Optimizing images using Riot software.
    Utilizing short text areas on product listings.
    Lengthening product text to include brief and complete descriptions.
    Adding new products daily.
    Inclusion of blog.
    Addition of a live customer service chat page.

If anyone would like to check out the new design of the site and let me know if there's anything you think I need to do or change, I'll be interested to hear it.
    Check out BlokeToys and let me know what you think?

I'm Not Gay but My Girlfriend Is.
    congrats conran!! and i thought your increased traffic was because of my link to you! ha! ha!

All links help! :toast:

Quote Originally Posted by chickwoutadick View Post
    congrats conran!! and i thought your increased traffic was because of my link to you! ha! ha!

that looks really smart, well done!
    Luke H.
    Marketing Director
    Zbuckz.com, Jbuckz.com, Dickbank.com, Glamourbuckz.com

Thanks Luke. It's been a bit of work with all the new graphics.
    And the blog seems to be doing well. I just wish there were more places to link to it, and an independent side bar to host outgoing links and categories.

I think the only referrer that has a Shopping category is MenAreHot, so I've added and submit to them.

If anyone knows of any others I'd really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by HunkMoneyLuke View Post
    that looks really smart, well done!

conran, what about an affiliate program for your toys? would it be feasable for US customers to order from you with shipping costs? are you drop shipping? i would not mind adding a shopping link if it makes sense.

I'm not sure I'd know where to start with an affiliate program. I don't have control of the back end of the site either, so I think it would take too much work to operate with an affiliate program. It is something I've thought about though.

With shipping, that is something I really did focus on. I had one or two customers in the US a while back and a few inquiries here and there. I eventually added the postage charge by weight option, and since then orders outside of the UK dropped off a cliff.
    The thing was I couldn't offer international shipping with reasonable postage and actually make a profit. It just wasn't worth it. So I've stuck with the weight option and if I get overseas orders then that's great!

Drop ship is the method I already use :icon_smile:
    My original business plan requires that I progress to a certain level of monthly revenue before I seek storage and buy in stock. I think that's when I would start to look at operating a drop ship option myself.

conran, what about an affiliate program for your toys? would it be feasable for US customers to order from you with shipping costs? are you drop shipping? i would not mind adding a shopping link if it makes sense.

okay, just a thought.....

Definitely good thoughts though!

It's a little bit of a shame that my options are so limited in developing the business. Having looked around at my competition, it seems that I offer a whole lot of stock for men, and I really want to grow it too.
    The only problem I'm having is the low traffic.

I can't really use social networking without being banned shortly after, Google is a pain to deal with, advertising hasn't worked because of the global nature of it, UK advertisers that I *think* might be great options want a hell of a lot of cash for an as yet unknown return.

I've kind of formulated a plan for the next couple of months:
    I'm going to have a limited number of the branded cum rags made, then pay a couple of hundred quid for a postcard insert campaign or half page ad with that as the draw, and target a lads mag in the UK for distribution.

I still need to find a decent manufacturer for the cum rags though, because the last one I had make a tester (that I paid for) was TERRIBLE! I really didn't get that, I told them there was a future large order in it for them and it didn't even look like they tried.

okay, just a thought.....