Thread: taking the leap

taking the leap

Yup, this weekend I just setup my new MacBook Pro with all my applications running on Mac OSX. Actually, the full story is that I bought Win7 to use via bootcamp, but honestly, its been so much trouble getting Win7 setup that I figured might as well take the leap and try running OSX as my primary from hereon.

IMHO, Microsoft has done amazing things in Win7 to encourage users to find an alternative o/s LOL!!!

wish me luck
    Luke H.
    Marketing Director
    Zbuckz.com, Jbuckz.com, Dickbank.com, Glamourbuckz.com

They have computers, and they may have other weapons of mass destruction x0pa's Avatar
    YAY you can do it luke ru running lion or snow leopard?
    Dade Williams

It came installed with Snow Leopard. I have already requested the free upgrade to Lion as I just got the laptop delivered a couple weeks ago
    Luke H.
    Marketing Director

They have computers, and they may have other weapons of mass destruction x0pa's Avatar
    i recommend you make a time machine backup while in snow leopard prior to upgrading to lion

and then let me know if your MBP runs hotter then it does now and if the fan goes off all the time "even when your not doing anything" p.s. if you use safari and i think you should you'll want the beta version as it utilizes FAR LESS ram

so ah huh huh how much ram u got in ur mbp
    Dade Williams

Its actually been surprisingly easy, way way easier than moving from XP -> Win7.

I have MS Office 2011 running and I imported all my messages / calendar / contacts. It did not import account settings so it took me a bit of time to get my ~20 accounts setup, but that was not a big deal. I use roboform so that was just a matter of installing the Mac version and sync'ing with the online data to get all my web bookmarks and logins. Same with ICQ + Skype. And Filezilla let me export / import my ftp logins. The only thing I had to change was SSH programs (from putty to spackle).

The one thing I am disappointed with, however, is the MacBook Pro screen - its got a definite blue tint to it and even after playing with the settings its still looks off. Kinda like going from incandescent to neon lights, cold and blue.

Yup, I will get time machine running to keep backups. I have been using firefox as it feels comfortable for now.

I maxed out my system, so its got 8GB RAM, a 256GB SSD and all the other bells & whistles
    Luke H.
    Marketing Director

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    When Microsoft announced it would stop selling and using XP, we ran out and bought the remaining XP software from Amazon, and somewhere else. We bought a machine that had Vista. It was just not compatible with a lot of software that we still use to today.

Microsoft still offers updates and such for XP. They have not stopped. Not even requests to update to a new OS.

Prior to Microsoft sending out that announcement, we needed a new computer. It had Vista on it. HORRIBLE. HATED IT! We immediately changed it back to XP.

My laptop that I do all of my work from does have Windows 7. It's okay, I still prefer XP.

You can still find XP software out there. I do know for a fact it integrates very well with bootcamp. One of our editing computers is a Mac, it's maybe 6 months old. It is running XP through bootcamp. The rest of the specs on it, I have no clue.

Food for thought I guess.

u got the SSD from apple? Yikes $

what's the boot time I miss having SSD it was on laptop that was stolen
    Dade Williams

Big Hands/Big Feet=Expensive shoes & gloves!
    Quote Originally Posted by PFLJayden View Post
    When Microsoft announced it would stop selling and using XP, we ran out and bought the remaining XP software from Amazon, and somewhere else. We bought a machine that had Vista. It was just not compatible with a lot of software that we still use to today.

Microsoft still offers updates and such for XP. They have not stopped. Not even requests to update to a new OS.

Prior to Microsoft sending out that announcement, we needed a new computer. It had Vista on it. HORRIBLE. HATED IT! We immediately changed it back to XP.

My laptop that I do all of my work from does have Windows 7. It's okay, I still prefer XP.

You can still find XP software out there. I do know for a fact it integrates very well with bootcamp. One of our editing computers is a Mac, it's maybe 6 months old. It is running XP through bootcamp. The rest of the specs on it, I have no clue.

Food for thought I guess.
    When I knew it was time to buy a new computer with more OOMPH in it power wise, found a great deal on one at Dell..but it came with Win7. "Oh crap".. I thought to myself. Had Vista on my laptop..now I'm getting this on a new desktop? Why oh why can't we just keep using reliable winxp.

But guess what? I've found Windows 7 to be a wonderful suprise! It's actually very stable and things run very well and very fast. It is NOT Vista thank god! In fact, was so impressed with win7 I even got a win7 cell phone and love it also!

So one big THUMBS UP for windows 7!

I've always had MS for a long time winxp was awesome then vista drove me bonkers win7 is awesome like xp a lil bloated but better then vista
    Dade Williams