Thread: Windows8's proposed ribbon gui could be disaster

Windows8's proposed ribbon gui could be disaster

MS has confirmed reports that hat it is revamping the Explorer interface in Windows 8 to feature a ribbon GUI, similar to the one first introduced in Office 2007. But the problem is, according to responses on their own official blog, that MS is the is giving people more of what they don't want.

Check out the comments under the "Improvements In Windows Explorer" blog entry here, some are happy but most are confused and frustrated, with users recalling the disaster that the Office 2007 ribbon was when it was introduced.

One blogger went as far to state that the ribbon trashes one of Microsoft's own stated goals to create a "streamlined command experience", since the ribbon takes up a massive chunk of prime screen spacefor only 16% of actions in Explorer that Microsoft itself says users never or hardly ever use.

What's worse, MS seems to have known this would be an issue. When they announced the new rehashed ribbon GUI, the spokesperson said: "We knew that using a ribbon for Explorer would likely be met with skepticism by a set of power-users." But with Win8 being only weeks away from Beta testing, it seems the next implied statement is that they don't care about feedback as this is a done deal.

I really thought MS had changed its ways with the much improved Win7 (over Vista) but after reading that blog and the comments, it looks like they will have another flop of an upgrade coming up. It makes me happy I swapped to Mac OS
    Luke H.
    Marketing Director
    Zbuckz.com, Jbuckz.com, Dickbank.com, Glamourbuckz.com

They have computers, and they may have other weapons of mass destruction x0pa's Avatar
    yeah u knew they would do something to mess things up just take away everythign and give us tiles
    Dade Williams