Thread: jpegmini faster loading sites

They have computers, and they may have other weapons of mass destruction x0pa's Avatar

jpegmini faster loading sites

JPEGmini is a free-to-use online service for compressing JPEG files up to 80% without any perceivable loss.

It uses a new/patent pending technology, works only on JPEG files and generates JPEG files again as the output.
    http://www.webresourcesdepot.com/jpe...ster-websites/
    Dade Williams

They have computers, and they may have other weapons of mass destruction x0pa's Avatar
    wow i tested this 4mb jpeg http://toast.server5000.com/perftest...?1314840524554

it went down to 900k
    Dade Williams

nice find, i will have to test this with images that are already compressed by adobe photoshop to see if it still works well. Shaving those few mb's off a tour speeds it up and that makes a huge difference!
    Luke H.
    Marketing Director
    Zbuckz.com, Jbuckz.com, Dickbank.com, Glamourbuckz.com

i was shocked the quality of the downsize of 4mb jpeg was the same
    Dade Williams

What do you consider 'good sex'? rawTOP's Avatar
    I got a 40 to 45% reduction in size on two images that I tried. BUT (and it's a big but) the files can't be opened on a Mac by Preview. So it's creating rubbish files.

Needs some more work, definitely needs an API, but it has promise...

weird mine worked on mac
    Dade Williams

What do you consider 'good sex'? rawTOP's Avatar
    I just figured out my problem... I didn't notice the download files were .zips - I had renamed them and given them a .jpg extension. Why you'd zip a single jpg, I have no clue... I guess they're trying to stop people from hotlinking.

Still, nice idea but they desperately need an API or something you can call via command line. BTW, I could see slight artifacts in one of the images I compressed with them. I've attached the before and after - look at the arm of the backhoe - you'll see some white dots in the image compressed by jpgmini. It's actually hard to see the difference when you look at them side by side but when you switch back and forth in something like Preview and they're occupying the same space on screen you see the pixels change...

[If you're wondering, that's them digging up the street in front of our new place to reconnect our house to the water main...]

GWW Newbie..Be Nice..
    If you're running Wordpress try WP Smush.it -- Sometimes it can be temperamental but usually does a good job...