Thread: Value of Customer Database

How long have you been gay?

Value of Customer Database

Hi guys

I am new to the forum.

I'm looking to determine the value of a gay video website customer email database of around 30,000 paid members. My understanding is that the database was built over the last 2 years.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

-B

Welcome to the forum.

I don't know how to value such a database, are you the program owner? Are the email addresses opted in or are these just former members?
    Luke H.
    Marketing Director
    Zbuckz.com, Jbuckz.com, Dickbank.com, Glamourbuckz.com

Quote Originally Posted by HunkMoneyLuke View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

I don't know how to value such a database, are you the program owner? Are the email addresses opted in or are these just former members?
    It's paid customer emails, so not opt in I'm going to guess.

There is also a double optin email collection of 300,000.

My mind says the paid clients should be the worthwhile ones, but I just realized if it isn't opt in that can be a spam problem.

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    Quote Originally Posted by bazinga View Post
    It's paid customer emails, so not opt in I'm going to guess.

There is also a double optin email collection of 300,000.

My mind says the paid clients should be the worthwhile ones, but I just realized if it isn't opt in that can be a spam problem.
    We had this problem, this is why we don't do email blasts anymore. Please let me explain...

Let's say someone finds something hot on your site. It makes them horny. They're going to want more. So they sign up to opt-in to receive your emails.

They'll like the emails today, they'll like them tomorrow. But may not want them anymore. Their first instinct is to click on the "Spam" button in their email.
    When you get so many of those... Let's use Yahoo as an example. When so many people click on the "Spam" button... It reports that back to yahoo. Eventually yahoo will block you.

We did this once with 19,000 opt-ins. Comcat, AOL, and 4-5 others permanently blocked us. We've filled out forms after forms and we're still battling up to a year now.

During this, we also added in not only our opt-ins but also our paid members.

You have to be extremely careful on the wording, text, and how your emailing, who your emailing. etc.

If they are opt-in, sure give it a shot. If they are paid members, my suggestion is to send them an email that says something to the effect of: Interested in receiving our update emails? Or whatever email you may have. Encourage them to subscribe. If they do not, trash their email address.

That is my suggestion. It will also protect you and your server from spamming.

Also, yahoo will ding you on SEO with yahoo if your "spamming." We did not even show up in yahoo search results for 2 years. Not at all!

Be very careful.

Thanks PFLJayden

It's been a very very long time since I did mailings. Back in 2003 I had a 5000 person database and it worked beautifully a few times. 8 years later the world is a different place.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I think I knew it was a bad idea and just needed someone else to say it too. :-)