Thread: Like Drop Box

Gay Journalist and erotic video producer.
    Itinerant photographer, now in Liverpool... and on Stripchat and Streamen and Chaturbate.

Like Drop Box

Do any of you use a data FTP/storage service for sending/receiving files from clients - other than your web host?

I need to stop using the post, and start using on-line, for raw content from video guys I collaborate with.

I use FTP on my servers, I find that is the most reliable. With NatNet, I simply open a ticket and ask them to setup a temp ftp account on a separate directory without access to anything else.
    Luke H.
    Marketing Director
    Zbuckz.com, Jbuckz.com, Dickbank.com, Glamourbuckz.com

Itinerant photographer, now in Liverpool... and on Stripchat and Streamen and Chaturbate.
    I have a technologically-challenged colleague, who I get content from. Because I'm traveling in Europe, mailing things to me is tougher than when I'm in the US.

My host is in Germany. That presents no speed problem for me when I'm on this side of the Atlantic, but can be a bit slower for someone uploading from the US.

So I was just wondering if there's experience here with a drop box service hosted in the US. I had a GoDaddy account once, I suppose I could open one, although I'm not looking for a hosted domain.

I am new here
    maybe amazon cloud or icloud works for this?

I dunno. I keep thinking those are for MP3s.

I wonder how either handles 2GB raw video files out of the camera? And if the speed is slow or fast - fast enough to upload a MP3, or slow for a 2GB raw video file, one of 10 or so making up an hour's worth of shooting.

I dropped Apple iDisk for $99/yr, because it was dirt slow.

I've got more gay in my little pinky, than you have in your entire body
    Agree with Luke, NatNet (or some service like it) is best for this kind of thing. An alternative is Yousendit.com, some of my mainstream customers use it to send large files.
    Bert

TwinkPay

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    We use dropbox. When we are out of state filming and such, we use dropbox. While on the road, we will capture the videos from our cameras, place the raw AVI file into dropbox. The editor in the office will grab the raw AVI files from dropbox and have the scene(s) edited and the DVD done by the time we get back. For instance, we'll drop the video(s) into dropbox on a Monday, the DVD is done by Friday by the time we get back.
    We payout a pretty penny for the larger storage, but it works for our needs. Maybe that will help you.

We too host with National Net. They are a bit on the pricy side, but worth every penny! We have our server sync'd as well to our desktops with a shortcut folder. We drop whatever we need to FTP into the folder. While we're doing whatever, it's uploading to the server "behind the scenes." I think you can do this with nearly any host.

I've got more gay in my little pinky, than you have in your entire body
    PFLJayden, what do you use to sync over FTP with your server? I have been looking for something like that but never found anything that made me happy.
    Bert

TwinkPay

how about that new bitcasa site that I mentioned here: http://forums.gaywidewebmasters.com/...ad.php?t=37550
    Luke H.
    Marketing Director
    Zbuckz.com, Jbuckz.com, Dickbank.com, Glamourbuckz.com

Quote Originally Posted by asiaboy View Post
    PFLJayden, what do you use to sync over FTP with your server? I have been looking for something like that but never found anything that made me happy.
    Use SmartFTP. Create a "folder shortcut" of a directory on the server. Download the shortcut folder to your desktop. The first time you open the shortcut on your desktop, it will request:
    FTP URL
    FTP Username
    FTP Password

Set the permissions to remember the login.

Then you just drop your files into that. It will upload them to your server behind the scenes.

Another thing we use is Network Magic.
    It's a bit more time consuming.
    We use Network Magic to run and network all of our computers.

With it, you get a free "website" really it's a sub-domain to their site.

Through that you can upload files from your computer to it.

Example:
    If you have 2 computers networked with Network Magic. From the computers you can sync them to each other. You set the permissions to allow "Web Access." Let's say your in New York, but your computer is in Florida. You can access the items on your Florida Computer through the web and from your computer in New York.

If you need to transfer a file from your computer that is in New York, you'd upload it through your "web access" and designate for it to download onto the Florida computer.

You can network hard drives, computers, disc drives, printers, etc. We actually had a document on one laptop when we were in Canada. Due to restrictions in the office... We set the document to print from our computer that was in Canada, and had it print in the office here.

With proper networking, you can do ANYTHING you want!

Our networks run our entire business from anywhere within the world.