Thread: Why and How I Switched to a Standing Desk

They have computers, and they may have other weapons of mass destruction x0pa's Avatar

Why and How I Switched to a Standing Desk

so my question to all of you have any of you done this?
    do you know someone who has?

what do you think about it i wana hear your thoughts im pretty curious about this i used to half stand before at a desk and seemed to be better then full on sitting at a desk for such long periods of time

Lifehacker emeritus Gina Trapani recently took the standing desk plunge that she's written up many times before, and, after a few days and some adjustments, is digging her new, healthier setup. Here's how she, and others like her, made the transition.

I spend about 45 to 50 hours a week working on my computer. Up until a week ago, I did that work sitting on my ever-expanding behind.

Last Monday I adjusted my desk to standing height (pictured right). I spent the week working on my feet, and I'm never going back to a sitdown desk again. Here are some questions and answers about the change.
    Read more about it over at LifeHacker
    Dade Williams

Gay Journalist and erotic video producer.
    Itinerant photographer, now in Liverpool... and on Stripchat and Streamen and Chaturbate.
    I was a niteclub DJ for 12 years, and always worked standing up.

I know there are some who DJ sitting down. In radio DJ'ing, it is common to see hosts in pictures sitting down, but it is very common seeing DJs who stand up.

My first job in TV, as a film editor, was sitting on a stool, half-way between an office chair and standing up. Gave better control.

There are times when I need to reach between a keyboard and my stash of HDDs, or DVD burner, when I stay standing and type or mouse click standing up while organizing peripherals.

Sitting too long is hard on the butt and legs. Especially if you have one of those big fancy wire mesh ergo desk chairs, where the seat is so large that it pinches you right behind your knees. More so if you have it elevated so that your feet don't touch the floor.

It causes damage to your blood vessels in your legs, and causes blood clots - it's a presumption as to how the famous NBC-TV Meet The Press host died - of DVT. An explainer on DVT:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,258497,00.html

Sorry for the source of this news piece, but it is valid and credible reporting.

Both Ben & I have had to do some serious adjusting to the way our offices are setup. Ben actually went to the emergency a few years back suffering from shoulder issues and had to retrain himself over the next few months while in therapy, so as to put less stress on his shoulders and neck.

Now we both have proper office chairs, keyboard trays that are at the right level, lifts for our laptops to bring the screen upto the proper level, etc. It took a while to get things setup right, but its made a world of difference. And I can tell whenever I am sitting at a non-ergonomical desk as I am very sore the next day.

We haven't done the stand-up desk, actually this is the first time I have heard of it. Although I think I will pass on it as I am comfy the way things are now.
    Luke H.
    Marketing Director
    Zbuckz.com, Jbuckz.com, Dickbank.com, Glamourbuckz.com

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    I've mentioned the cam house is reopening.... Thanks to IPAD'S! They will be taking the place of buying new computers. Thanks to a distribution company, we got them on wholesale.

With this said, our new house managers will have a desk, but will be standing much of the time managing the cams via the use of IPAD's.... The way we have it created... With so many schedules in the house, and the way the room is laid out (we call it the control room)... Everything is ran on laptop computer carts. The 2 guys who will work in shifts as the house managers will be standing much of the time to control the cameras, recording, warching to ensure the guys are doing things they are supposed to and not supposed to.