Thread: Apple MacBook Pro Can Now Sport 16GB of RAM

They have computers, and they may have other weapons of mass destruction x0pa's Avatar

Apple MacBook Pro Can Now Sport 16GB of RAM

Remember when Apple said that 8GB was the max RAM a MacBook Pro could allow?

Apple wasn't exactly lying when they said that 8GB was the maximum. The reason they said this is because there was no such technology available that could allow your MacBook Pro to have more than 8GB. With current technologies, the most you could upgrade to was 8GB because that's all that modern engineers have been able to cram into a laptop RAM module. This is contained within the Apple ecosystem of laptops though. Compatible 16GB modules have never existed. However there have been 16GB RAM laptops in the past.

Until now, that is. Crucial, a factory-direct seller of RAM, sports a 16GB RAM upgrade for the MacBook Pro. The 16GB upgrade sports two 8GB modules. This technology is so new that it doesn't come cheap. Cramming that much memory into a laptop RAM stick isn't cheap to make and because of that, even factory-direct, the 16GB upgrade costs $620. Yes, that's absolutely outrageous. People can buy solid state drives for less than that. But this kind of power packed into the small size of laptop RAM is very costly for the manufacturers who make the RAM. The 8GB upgrade from Crucial is what I have in my MacBook pro. The upgrade cost me $54 for two 4GB modules. It seems like a huge leap from $54 to the next best thing; 16GB at $620. Is it worth it? I'd say no. But if you're absolutely crazy and want the most power you can get in your MacBook Pro, then someone will certainly do it. I will be happy with my 8GB for now....
    Source:ModMyI

o0o snap i want i want - but g`damn i want a sony hmzt1 personal viewer ;(
    Dade Williams

Wow nice! I have 8GB on my MacBook Pro and have not had any speed issues, even when doing some serious multitasking. It would be nice to upgrade to 16GB but prolly not till prices come down.
    Luke H.
    Marketing Director
    Zbuckz.com, Jbuckz.com, Dickbank.com, Glamourbuckz.com

They have computers, and they may have other weapons of mass destruction x0pa's Avatar
    ugh i know right, i mean i want it cause i run lots of shit all the time speed performance i.e.: converting is always there but who couldn't use more ramming err ram
    Dade Williams