Thread: Fleas aaah!

DigitalJay

Angry Fleas aaah!

Ever since my "sister in law" brought her stupid mangy dog out here there have been fleas all over me and everything else! I've tried powders, sprays, salt, washing everything over and over, but they are still everywhere!

Any suggestions on how to get rid of these nasty things? I really just want to get the hell out of here! I took off my shirt earlier and there were 7 of them on my stomach! It makes me kind of sick...

My bf, his dad, his sis and her kid live here too, and I cant get them all cordinated enough to pack up all their clothes/bedding and do what has to be done. Should I burn all their shit? Should I give up and hitch hike to LA?

Rainbo1956
    There are a couple of things (Don't waste your $$ on powders, sprays, etc...)
    Get some "topSpot" or some of the same stuff from a vet.

Sentinel is what I use to keep fleas away (it's also a heartworm preventative) it sterilizes the fleas. They'll diminish over time and no more worries!

There could be a nest outside, so every time the dog goes out, he/she picks some up and they hitch a ride to the inside of your house. (Nice eh...NOT!)

The Sentinel will take care of that (TopSpot will too)

Then vacumme every chance you get...get rid of the bag afterwords though so eggs wont hatch and come out of the bag...

By the way, fleas can't swim...they drown, so taking the dog for swims is good too....don't bathe the dog too much, that isn't good for them (their skin)

DigitalJay
    Thanks for the ideas! The dog isn't an inside pet, so I KNOW the nests are outside. I've tried spraying bottles and bottles of shit arond the door and right outside it, where she hangs out, but it hasnt done any good. I'll try the things you mentioned next time I have money.

Until then, I guess i'll get her to follow me down to the river and push her in . My poor kitten is covered in them now and I can't afford any flea meds that won't hurt cats. Damn everything! I'm allergic so I can't give him baths, he'll scratch me and i'll pass out. Hmmm...I never, ever want a dog!

BDBionic
    My friend's apartment had a huge flea problem so one weekend we went and got a buncha flea bombs from Home Depot and set them off in his apartment, went to the beach for the rest of the day, came back to his place and there were no more fleas. Problem solved.

Yea- you need to use the flea bombs ... along with bathing the animals before they go back into the de-fleaed areas. I've seen kittens die from fleas, please get her/him deflead right away.

You don't need special flea soaps ... most any shampoo that you use will work to bathe them with ... fill up the sink with some warm water, and try to hold the kitten down as deep as you can for as long as you can to help drown them... and gently wet and soap up their head and ears cause those critters will try to hide around the kitten's nose and eyes.

Once the house and animals are de-fleaed, using the Sentinel is a good way to keep things under control on the animal itself.

As to the yard, a treatment with Diazanon will take care of the fleas, but this stuff needs to be used per the directions and with extreme caution, as it's a toxic poisonous substance. Keep it off the flower and vegetable plants! Use a bandana over the mouth and nose, and use rubber gloves or garden gloves that can be washed, and immediately strip and launder clothing when you're done and shower. The Diazanon needs to be lightly wetted after you put it down, and no animals should be allowed into the area for at least 24 hours. It's a pain to apply it, but does last about 3 months which should take you through the worst of the flea season.